Re: E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In message <BrWdnR1CaqzBnYLSnZ2dnUVZ8jSdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 13:02:52 on Tue, 24 Jan 2012, rosenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx remarked:
>FWIW one doesn't get pay-to-use trolleys at Waitrose. You must shop at
>some right chavvy places ;)

Oddly enough, the first place I ever encountered them was at the
Waitrose in Wokingham! Although it was a Safeway at the time.

ASDA complained to me that they had been made to add coin ops to their
trolleys by the council. More likely so many were being taken off site that
it was the only way they could stop the council fining them for recovery.

The problem in Wokingham (iirc, it was the late 70's) was people leaving their supermarket trolleys scattered round the nearby car park. In some towns the council would allow there to be collection pens in the car parks, and the store would go and round up the errant trolleys. This is one of the ways that out-of-town supermarkets have an advantage because it's their own car park and those pens are the default.
--
Roland Perry

  • Re: Council CCTV Van
    ... Outside in the disabled parking bay I found the local council CCTV van. ... ticketing cars in the town centre car park that have overstayed by a few ... despite the car park not being in any sense full. ...
    (uk.transport)
  • Re: Library emptied in bid to fight closure
    ... Our council is Tory - it's lost the plot. ... Here it costs 70 pence for four hours. ... free if you drive to the other council car park (used to have a meter, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Library emptied in bid to fight closure
    ... Our council is Tory - it's lost the plot. ... free if you drive to the other council car park (used to have a meter, ... The development corp. seems to have been all about expensive regeneration and housing expansion, with no regard to the availability of work - the corp. also costs a lot of money. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: How Can I Cost The Council Money
    ... council the maximum amount of inconvenience and expense as possible? ... have *always* given my ticket to someone on leaving the car park. ... In one Lincoln Council car park, the meter has the classic statement ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: English changes?
    ... banks, free of charge. ... and after the closure of a large council car park and its sale ... Also during that month, the local council took ...
    (alt.usage.english)