On 26 Feb, 14:39, rosenst...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
In article
<db139ce6-0a1a-48b1-944c-e51211021...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

mizte...@xxxxxxxxx (Mizter T) wrote:
On Feb 25, 11:25 am, rosenst...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In article <zWgyKjPsDkhLF...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
wbris...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Walter Briscoe) wrote:

[snip]

Colin: I understand the DDA is a best efforts business. There was a
minor loss of wheelchair access westbound with the introduction of
the teacup - slower timetabled journeys. The serious limitation that
Paddington is only accessible clockwise continues. Paddington's
access is not on the Dec 2009 Step-free Tube guide. The tube map
doesn't show one way access.

My grouse, as a passenger without mobility impairment, is that there
is no information at platform 4 on the first train to High Street
Kensington. About a month ago, I arrived on 4 to find trains waiting
at 2 and 3. A platform CSA (admittedly from an SST - peripatetic
staff to deal with local shortages) had no information and did not
volunteer to find any. Help points are not provided. I took the
lazy decision which turned out to be sub-optimal. ;)

The lack of information at Edgware Road also sounds like a serious
deterioration too. I don't think I've ever met a helpful member of
platform staff there either.

Hold on, if it was never any good, how can it be a serious
deterioration. I demand rhetoric with at least some logic underpinning
it ;-)

Colin: I believe my eastbound Circle line train had come via High
Street Kensington and, so, arrived on the advertised platform. A
decision to allow it to continue eastbound was taken to minimised
customer delay. I think it a pity that LU publishes so little on
the web about disruption.

Wouldn't help many people on the move. They need it on the platforms!

All: I am afraid I failed to note the URL for reliability
statistics, which was recently given in utl. Aggregation of Circle
and Hammersmith & City may reflect operational reality, but provides
a poor measurement for customers. I recall the aggregation achieving
about 90% before the service revision, where all other lines achieve
95%+. 93% would be good!

I'm not mobility-impaired either but I do sometimes have luggage and
other impedimenta. Luckily the granddaughter gets older and more able
to walk herself over the footbridge as time goes by.

And they say the new service is an improvement! Edgware Road sounds
worse than ever, especially for information. *Why* can they still not
show which is the first train for High St in this day and age?

Because the signalling system isn't from this day and age.

Just because Edgware Road might be a bit messy that doesn't invalidate
the notion that the service has improved. Well, maybe it does to you.

It does to the quite large proportion of Circle /H&C/WImbleware pax who
want to "turn the top left corner".

To me, the idea that the Circle line might actually work means I might
start to acknowledge its existence.

The old PIS at Edgware Road was immensely better with indicators on all
platforms of the next trains from all platforms. When they "improved"
things (and removed some historic baggage like the ability to show Verney
Junction as a destination) they made things a lot worse, so it can't just
be the signalling.

Why didn't they at least do something more that new fixed signs to improve
the passenger information systems there before messing with the Circle?
They are positively misleading at times of disruption.

The Earl's Court PIS is not even from my late father's age but it's better
than at Edgware Road with more complexity in some respects (but not
reversing trains, I concede).

Do the indicators on the Wimble-related parts of the District yet show
any next trains at all before they are actually in sight?

I don't recall them ever doing so.

  • Re: Extended Circle trial this weekend
    ... TfL have been playing with the Circle line over the weekend. ... and all the trains start/finish their journeys at Hammersmith instead. ... Here's how the new split-Circle arrangements at Edgware Road should ... Platform 2: Start/end of the line for orbital Circle line trains ...
    (uk.transport.london)
  • Re: S Stock Amersham question
    ... For my purposes the I find the route from the Standard end of an HST at Paddington to stations on the southern side of the Circle very convenient. ... In my experience the clockwise Circle Line trains terminate so that there is cross-platform interchange with trains continuing along the northern side of the Circle. ... Now it is punctuated by a Gadarene rush up and over the quite steep footbridge at Edgware Road. ... If you take an anti-clockwise train from Baker Street it calls at the southernmost platform at Edgware Road. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Extended Circle trial this weekend
    ... District line trains to Wimbledon ... Whilst that would be the ideal platform arrangement under the Teacup ... I think previously we discussed how if the platforms were dedicated as above you had a reliable same platform clockwise circle interchange, but in the opposite direction this was only possible for Wimblewares. ... I saw lots of passengers with luggage at Paddington on Sunday waiting for an Outer Rail train, who would no doubt have appreciated a cross-platform interchange between Circle trains at Edgware Road. ...
    (uk.transport.london)
  • Re: Reading Station Development - Consultation
    ... I have just discovered this newsgroup and as I visited the exhibition in Reading Town Hall this afternoon I now have a good opportunity to write my first post. ... I learnt from the Network Rail representatives at the exhibition that the exhibition concentrated more on the re-organisation of the tracks and roads; although outline designs for the new platform awings and station entrances and buildings have been floated in the local press over the last 18 months or so, no decisions have yet been taken. ... At the cost of a climb of some 7 metres for west-bound trains along the Great Westerm main line (as distinct from the relief lines) a large source of contention with the local population has been avoided. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: What is the highest speed you can go both ways over points?
    ... turnout into platform 5. ... successive trains to call at Milton Keynes at five-minute intervals without ... The opposing argument is that trains heading for Stafford need to slow down ...
    (uk.railway)