Hotmail to end mobile alerts

I see that Windows Live is to end its SMS mobile alert service on 31 May 2012. Currently when an email is received or an event, for example on SkyDrive, is triggered an sms is sent to the registered number. This is really useful for email alerts and is often more reliable than even ActiveSync. The sms service is not charged for directly by Microsoft but networks do charge for the text - about 12p per text on Vodafone. The filters are powerful and so only urgent emails or vip senders need trigger the alert. It's a great service.

There doesn't seem to be any similar service offered by other email providers. Also with the closure of most UK network email to sms gateways to new registrants there doesn't seem to be a workaround either.

Does anyone know of an email service that will send a rule based sms notification when an email is received?

  • Re: Anyway to have a PocketPC not turn on for a notification?
    ... Exchange server. ... The device does not alert me when it receives the SMS, ... Device turns on after receiving SMS, ... it still thinks that it is on because of the alert. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: screen problem...
    ... device lock. ... Pocket PC Mauritius ... some call being disconnected or an sms being accidentally deleted ... some reminder alert can be turned off. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • screen problem...
    ... around in the holster clipped on my belt. ... some call being disconnected or an sms being accidentally deleted ... some reminder alert can be turned off. ... receive an email through the DP, the screen doesnt turn on and instead ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: SMS panic alarm?
    ... affordable home panic alarm/burglar alarm that can send a SMS message ... Oh and here's the link to the instruction manual.....I think it can alert by ... SMS and then escalate to a phone call is the SMS is not replied to. ...
    (uk.telecom.mobile)
  • Re: Warning; 1st Choice spares
    ... collected by reverse charge text message sent to your mobile phone. ... premium rate SMS signups must have confirmation coming from the mobile via text. ... This provides a paper trail through your network operator to prove you agreed to the charges etc. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)