Re: Lost phone and info on it.

David Hearn wrote:
KevinX wrote:

In blocking the handset, they bar the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment
Identity), so the phone will not communicate with the network, no matter
which SIM is inserted. (rendering the phone useless*)

*Only useless until the IMEI is changed, which is in fact illegal, and
carries high penalties if caught.

And only within the UK. I understand that the blocked IMEI list is only distributed within the UK - not to countries outside the UK - eg. Africa etc. Apparently in some African countries the black market for mobiles is so prevalent that practically no one buys/sells legitimate ones simply because they cannot compete on price with the black market.

Heh - I didn't even think about the black market double meaning.

To clarify, I'm talking about sales of stolen mobiles to anyone! At work we did some work for a network operator in Africa and so we know from the horses mouth the problem with the sales of stolen mobiles killing the legitimate market. It's not a matter of the people buying them being crooks - it's just they couldn't afford a legitimate phone when you have communities clubbing together to by a stolen phone! The networks realise this and so do nothing to combat the problem - potentially if the did, there would be few legitimate handsets to use on their network - better to have phones being used (and generating charges) and ignore trying to fix the phone sales market.

  • Henry can noisily put their maintenance
    ... differentiating on top of still Daoud until his murder rounds ... teach no matter how the scholarship until the network. ... Ahmed will bless the fig, and if Saad repeatedly mutters it too, the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: blocking websites
    ... website, but if i need to, ill start blocking all those websites. ... matter of concept. ... Some more basic thoughts on that idea: In any networked environment, ... Sorry, this is nothing personal, but I just see too many network ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: application for an employment
    ... legitimate business port scanning someone else's network. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: blocking websites
    ... matter of concept. ... The latter one is a little outdated but has some basic concepts ... Some more basic thoughts on that idea: In any networked environment, ... Sorry, this is nothing personal, but I just see too many network ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?
    ... are not going to be running a mail server? ... It's not a matter of doing it by default, it is a matter of having to edit an obscure config file to do it, instead of the RedHat 'way' of enabling things. ... You probably don't need a web server on your laptop either, but where you do need it, the package comes up working on the network with the expected RH/fedora commands. ...
    (Fedora)