Re: What is this "loss of sync", and do I have it?

"Hugo Nebula" <abuse@localhost> wrote in message
> My bb connection over the past couple of days has been very 'flakey'.
> Not a technical term, I know, but the symptoms are; retrieving news
> messages in fits and starts with long pauses (upto 10-20 seconds)
> between newsgroup messages, or in the middle of messages with
> attachments; likewise stopping & starting in the middle of downloads.
>
> My setup is ISP-UKOnline 2MB on a LLU exchange with a Netgear
> modem/wireless router. The router's statistics are: Line attenuation
> (downstream)-53dB, Noise margin varying between 2dB to 6dB.
> Previously the line attenuation was at 54dB until a couple of days
> ago, and the noise margin has varied between 8dB to 1dB with no loss
> of connection. The upstream line attenuation has remained the same at
> 15.5dB, but the noise margin has dropped from 20dB to 18dB.
>
> I've tried it with a Speedtouch USB modem and it's not much better
> (but slightly better). I don't know how to get any figures out of it,
> so I don't have any quantative information.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Hugo Nebula
> "If no-one on the internet wants a piece of this,
> just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Are those stats from being pluged directly into the BT main socket? if not
try that.

What router firmware do you have installed? maybe a newer version would
help, it has helped some.

  • Re: What is this "loss of sync", and do I have it?
    ... > My bb connection over the past couple of days has been very 'flakey'. ... > modem/wireless router. ... The router's statistics are: Line attenuation ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • What is this "loss of sync", and do I have it?
    ... My bb connection over the past couple of days has been very 'flakey'. ... Not a technical term, I know, but the symptoms are; retrieving news ... Noise margin varying between 2dB to 6dB. ... Previously the line attenuation was at 54dB until a couple of days ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Homeplugs
    ... the consumer unit but I wouldn't like to count on that. ... attenuation from one circuit to another - but not sufficient to prevent ... capability of an electricity meter? ... reliable connection with. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Homeplugs
    ... attenuated as it passes from the ring main to the lighting circuits at ... the consumer unit but I wouldn't like to count on that. ... attenuation from one circuit to another - but not sufficient to prevent ... reliable connection with. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Orange advice....
    ... Connection mode: ADSL2+ ... That's high attenuation over that distance. ... I could connect directly to the master socket I ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)