Re: What is this "loss of sync", and do I have it?

Hugo Nebula <abuse@localhost> wrote:

> My bb connection over the past couple of days has been very 'flakey'.
> Not a technical term, I know, but the symptoms are; retrieving news
> messages in fits and starts with long pauses (upto 10-20 seconds)
> between newsgroup messages, or in the middle of messages with
> attachments; likewise stopping & starting in the middle of downloads.
>
> My setup is ISP-UKOnline 2MB on a LLU exchange with a Netgear
> modem/wireless router. The router's statistics are: Line attenuation
> (downstream)-53dB, Noise margin varying between 2dB to 6dB.
> Previously the line attenuation was at 54dB until a couple of days
> ago, and the noise margin has varied between 8dB to 1dB with no loss
> of connection. The upstream line attenuation has remained the same at
> 15.5dB, but the noise margin has dropped from 20dB to 18dB.
>
> I've tried it with a Speedtouch USB modem and it's not much better
> (but slightly better). I don't know how to get any figures out of it,
> so I don't have any quantative information.
>
> Any ideas?

Does your router have synch and on-line status lights? Do they go out when
the problem occurs? Does the log file show disconnections and multiple
re-connection attempts?

As kraftee says, it looks like your line can't sustain a reliable 2M
service.
--
Cheers,
Tim

  • Re: What is this "loss of sync", and do I have it?
    ... > My bb connection over the past couple of days has been very 'flakey'. ... > Not a technical term, I know, but the symptoms are; retrieving news ... > modem/wireless router. ... The router's statistics are: Line attenuation ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Homeplugs
    ... the consumer unit but I wouldn't like to count on that. ... attenuation from one circuit to another - but not sufficient to prevent ... capability of an electricity meter? ... reliable connection with. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Homeplugs
    ... attenuated as it passes from the ring main to the lighting circuits at ... the consumer unit but I wouldn't like to count on that. ... attenuation from one circuit to another - but not sufficient to prevent ... reliable connection with. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Orange advice....
    ... Connection mode: ADSL2+ ... That's high attenuation over that distance. ... I could connect directly to the master socket I ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Extra Access Instance with Automated Mail Merge
    ... (one of the things I hate about newsgroup messages -- at least when using ... originally done using DDE. ... > the database application. ... > currently have a DDE connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.automation)