Re: Can someone explain contention?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:46:45 GMT, "Cullen Skink"
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>When a broadband service says they have a contention ratio of say 50:1
>what is it that the 50 customers are sharing? If all 50 customers are on
>the ISP's 512kbps service they can't be sharing a single 512kbps
>connection as you would notice slow down all the time. I'm guessing it
>is a much larger "pipe?"
>
>tia

It's a bit like trying to explain how 5,000,000 cars can use the UK
road network at the same time without any of them dropping their
average speed below 40mph ... apart from isolated areas where the
average speed might drop to 10mph or so.

Does that help?

Jake

  • Re: Can someone explain contention?
    ... > When a broadband service says they have a contention ratio of say 50:1 ... > what is it that the 50 customers are sharing? ... > the ISP's 512kbps service they can't be sharing a single 512kbps ... But let me emphasise there has and never will be a shortage of bandwidth. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Is cable holding back superfast broadband adoption on purpose?
    ... customers. ... For the 1Gbps broadband service, ... pay $70 a month, or even half that, even if the speed was infinite. ... I keep my Panix account -- but I ssh into my shell account there, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Virgin sends file-sharing warnings to customers
    ... If it forces bill payers to check, ... So it is very well for Virgin or anyone else to write to their customers and say, ... then maybe it's time to unplug your broadband connection. ... File sharing, and the general download of music, movies and tv without payment has gone mainstream, not the preserve of geeks. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Can someone explain contention?
    ... >> When a broadband service says they have a contention ratio of say ... > Nope, right first time. ... It relies on all 50 customers not requiring ... > bandwidth simultaneously but if they did the connection speed would ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Problem with old Airport.
    ... Their broadband service has been dodgy for many ... customers, in many places nationwide, since Monday evening. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)