Re: What PVR are you using?

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:40:06 +0100, Peter
<REPLACEWITHMYFORENAME@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:01:18 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller <miller@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 at 17:13:26h +0100, Peter remarked:

And, as far as I know, there is no Linux software that does.

2011-01-30, Sunday :: MPlayer 1.0rc4 released -- unencrypted Blu-ray support.

At the present time, playing of encrypted BluRay discs requires use
of DumpHD to decrypt and dumping the data to disk first in order
to play the video --

<https://help.ubuntu.COM/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD>

OK, I sit corrected to the extent that it apparently *can* be done
under Linux. Thanks for the correction. But it doesn't seem to be the
simplest of operations. I certainly wouldn't want to go to the effort
of ripping a disc as a prelude to playing it. I haven't properly read
the article to which you referred - I've only skimmed it - but that
appears to be the general idea.

Anyway, this one point doesn't seem to undermine the overall thrust of
my argument. I remain of the view that a media PC isn't worth the
money/time/effort.

YMMV. I would have built a media PC if SWMBO was not in a hurry to
get a PVR. You can make them almost silent and it's not that
difficult. My main PC is virtually silent and you can only hear the
HDs in a quiet room. I could do something about that but I have run
out of round tuits.

What partcularly attracts me to a media PC, apart from the fact that
you can put in any tuner card you wish and choose the UI is that you
can get a DVD player where you can skip the locked parts of the film
(i.e. all the logos, trails and legal threats).
--
(\__/) M.

  • Re: WMPlayer 10 freezes up!
    ... Now Playing: "Cabbagetown" by "They Might Be Giants" in Windows Media ... >> been with new media added since the addition of WMP10. ... >>> I had problems installing WMPlayer 10. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Media Centre Slowing Down
    ... Tried loading another CD to the Media Centre whilst an archieved disk was ... playing, and the playing tune slowed down / stopped. ... Does turning off Virus guard have any effect? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: how to get information of a running prog in python
    ... track is currently playing. ... vary depending on media player. ... I am always obfuscated by sort of APIs. ... superprogram able to decipher what an arbitrary other running program ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Live internet radio will not play
    ... troubleshoot a different station that I have been unable to access. ... to the More Options tab under Now Playing, selected Network, chose HTTP ... Browser under the Streaming proxy settings, clicked Configure, then selected ... Can you see the media player visualisations ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)