Re: 3D on Freeview HD

Rick wrote:

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:97dt9vFbfeU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andrew Hodgkinson wrote:

I noticed recently that BBC HD was showing a 3D section during the preview. Then they started showing Wimbledon in 3D. I always (rashly!) assumed that this would be backwards compatible - e.g. transmitting the picture for one "eye" on the main channel, then using a secondary channel for the other one. This way, 2D TVs would show the picture fine, regardless of age.

Instead, on a brand new post-April 2011 Panasonic, I saw the left and right eye pictures side by side, squashed horizontally into the frame. Not good.

Well no, but didn't you notice BBC 1 HD was showing the same match, in 2D HD ?

There was an MHEG application running on the DTT stream that was supposed to stretch the left image to fill the screen, but it only seems to have worked on a limited number of receivers. In any case that would have given a 960 x 1080 image, not really HD, but so what, BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway.

The Beeb didn't spend much money on the enterprise, the coverage was provided by, and mostly paid for by, Sony.

A dog informed me that if I pressed the red button I would be able to watch in 2D, which out of curiosity I did and it worked fine.

I wasn't watching but presumably the Red button took one directly back to one of the "sub streams" normally used for other coverage.
I guess this would have been in SD as well

Mike

  • Re: 3D on Freeview HD
    ... Then they started showing Wimbledon in 3D. ... using a secondary channel for the other one. ... show the picture fine, regardless of age. ... BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: Displaying Images on a Form
    ... Now it is showing the picture, ... If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you ... This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the Image ... Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: Displaying Images on a Form
    ... Now it is showing the picture, ... If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: HDTV a waste of money,
    ... And you use how sets look in Dixons to judge picture quality? ... terribly good quality analogue signal amplified and split round all the ... They display integrated digital sets showing the same analogue signal ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: 3D on Freeview HD
    ... I always assumed that this would be backwards compatible - e.g. transmitting the picture for one "eye" on the main channel, then using a secondary channel for the other one. ... Well no, but didn't you notice BBC 1 HD was showing the same match, in 2D HD? ... In any case that would have given a 960 x 1080 image, not really HD, but so what, BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)