Re: 3D on Freeview HD

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:97dt9vFbfeU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Hodgkinson wrote:
I noticed recently that BBC HD was showing a 3D section during the preview. Then they started showing Wimbledon in 3D. I always (rashly!) assumed that this would be backwards compatible - e.g. transmitting the picture for one "eye" on the main channel, then using a secondary channel for the other one. This way, 2D TVs would show the picture fine, regardless of age.

Instead, on a brand new post-April 2011 Panasonic, I saw the left and right eye pictures side by side, squashed horizontally into the frame. Not good.

Well no, but didn't you notice BBC 1 HD was showing the same match, in 2D HD ?

There was an MHEG application running on the DTT stream that was supposed to stretch the left image to fill the screen, but it only seems to have worked on a limited number of receivers. In any case that would have given a 960 x 1080 image, not really HD, but so what, BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway.

The Beeb didn't spend much money on the enterprise, the coverage was provided by, and mostly paid for by, Sony.

A dog informed me that if I pressed the red button I would be able to watch in 2D, which out of curiosity I did and it worked fine.

  • Re: 3D on Freeview HD
    ... I always assumed that this would be backwards compatible - e.g. transmitting the picture for one "eye" on the main channel, then using a secondary channel for the other one. ... Well no, but didn't you notice BBC 1 HD was showing the same match, in 2D HD? ... There was an MHEG application running on the DTT stream that was supposed to stretch the left image to fill the screen, but it only seems to have worked on a limited number of receivers. ... In any case that would have given a 960 x 1080 image, not really HD, but so what, BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: 3D on Freeview HD
    ... Then they started showing Wimbledon in 3D. ... using a secondary channel for the other one. ... show the picture fine, regardless of age. ... BBC 1 HD was showing the far better HD 2D coverage anyway. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: 3D on Freeview HD
    ... Then they started showing Wimbledon in 3D. ... This way, 2D TVs would show the picture fine, ... right eye pictures side by side, ... BBC is using and why it isn't compatible with 2D equipment? ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Imagination as an Aid to Vision
    ... CHAPTER XIV - IMAGINATION AS AN AID TO VISION ... mind of the retinal picture. ... the eye is out of focus, in short, the mind is also out of focus. ...
    (sci.med.vision)
  • Re: Flash! Whoosh! Flutter, ker-thump! as lff joins the ranks
    ... I did have some pictures taken of my eye about 12-15 years ago. ... my next appointment) and did take the picture. ... I also had a contour picture taken of my cornea. ... indian or Chinese food will ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)