Re: England Test cricket sides by decades

On 1 Sep, 13:13, Robert Henderson <phi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In message <1188640234.304872.18...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gavin
Cawley <g...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

On 1 Sep, 09:17, Robert Henderson <phi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In message <1188551054.080506.283...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gavin
Cawley <g...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

You are barking up the wrong tree. I don't believe he was an epileptic.
RH

Yes Robert, I know that because I have read your posts. However as you
are basing this opinion on rather scant circumstantial evidence so you
can't be certain,

Such as being accepted for active service and serving for two years
without any record of a fit? ROTFL! RH

(i) As I have pointed out, there were effective anti-epileptic drugs
available, which may have kept his epilepsy under control. He may
even have had a supply of phenobarbital (which was commercially
available in 1912).

(ii) As I have pointed out if he had stress induced fits and was
particularly stressed by performing in public, ending his cricket
career may also have been effective in controlling his fits. While
war is also stressful, there is a difference between chronic and acute
stress, and there will be variation in peoples responses.

(iii) As Andy has pointed out, if the service doctor was not a cricket
fan then if Blythe didn't tell him about his fits the doctor would
have no way of knowing unless Blythe had a fit during the exam. Being
accepted for service means very little.

(iv) Just because there is no record of a fit, it doesn't mean it
didin't happen. People may have been too busy to record it (there
being a war on) or it may have been covered up by his friends.

I agree it may well not have been epilepsy, but there isn't enough
evidence to be sure either way and you are demonstrating a very
bounded mind by your inability to cope with any alternate hypothesis.

Prolixity alert! Prolixity alert! RH

Translation: Robert is unable to address the issues raised, but can't
admit that it is possible that Blythe may have had epilepsy either.

.