In article <dtqfm9$hmd$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Lawrence Jenkins <lawrence.jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

"Lawrence Jenkins" <lawrence.jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dtqf51$qks$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John Hall" <nospam_nov03@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:IoPP6DHOoLAEFwZa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <dtqcnt$l2c$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Lawrence Jenkins <lawrence.jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Now I wonder how different things would be if the situation was reversed
i.e..the NH in winter being furthest from the sun-ice age anyone?

I've read that the determining factor in an ice age is whether the ice
melts in the summer, ie that the NH being furthest from the sun in the
northern summer is actually more favourable for a NH ice age.

John I meant the actual distance from the sun.That being 152.5 million
kilometres on July 4th and 147.5 million kilometres on January 3rd. Would
the 5 million kilometres make much of a difference ?

This explains what I meant better than me

Sunlight falling on Earth is about 7% less intense in July than it is at our
closest approach to the Sun in January," says Roy Spencer of the Global
Hydrology and Climate Center. You might expect northern summer to be cooler
because it occurs when Earth is farther from the Sun. Not so, explains
Spencer. "The oceans and land on Earth are not evenly distributed around the
globe. The northern hemisphere has more land; the southern hemisphere has
more water. This tends to moderate the impact of differences in sunlight
between perihelion and aphelion."

What he's saying, I think, is that the northern summer is warmer than
the southern summer in spite of being further away from the sun at that
season, because it's outweighed by the land/sea factor. However if the
northern hemisphere was nearer to the sun in summer, then the disparity
between the hemispheres would be even greater. But I still believe that
for a northern hemisphere ice age to be possible you need the NH to be
further from the sun in summer than it is in winter.

More here
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast30jun_1m.htm?list

Note it's Keith's and Alastair's old mate the satellite king Roy Spencer .

:)
--
John Hall
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin"

  • Re: Meanwhile....
    ... I've read that the determining factor in an ice age is whether the ice ... ie that the NH being furthest from the sun in the ... northern summer is actually more favourable for a NH ice age. ...
    (uk.sci.weather)
  • Re: Neolithic/Mesolithic boundary
    ... > That turns out to be a problem also, because although the ice age is ... mesolithicization. ... >> the further north you get (neolithization being established ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • The Fiction of "Climate Science"
    ... New Ice Age." ... fell in line and did a cover issue warning us of global cooling on ... You can't blame these scientists for sucking up to the fed's mantra du ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • A fine weekend on the Far Eastern Fells
    ... but the sun was already strong once I was high enough to be in it. ... I'd decided against packing an ice axe and crampons, ... ridge even more enticing. ... Along to Thornthwaite Crag and its fine marker column, ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: A new anti-evolution argument from True Origins?
    ... >> system are based on estimates for the age of the Earth. ... The Age of the Earth FAQ at the Archive shows a Pb-Pb isochron ... > for the dating of the Solar System and hense the Earth. ... The age of the sun is based on inferences from the age of the ...
    (talk.origins)