Re: Cleaning SCT corrector plate

"adm" <adm1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6v6dnfiTaJBKX-neRVnysA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Dear All,
>
> I have a Meade LX200GPS 10" and the corrector plate appears to be quite
> dirty after the last few months of observing. Looking at it from an
> angle, there aren't any smudges, but there is quite a lot of stuck on
> dust and general crud and the surface appears rather matte. I'd like to
> clean it, but am really quite scared of touching the plate at all.
>
> Anyway, after doing some reading up on the web, some people recommend
> removing the corrector plate to clean it on the bench - which seems
> quite sensible to me as I can then use lots of solvent to wash it with
> and hopefully avoid some of the issues of streaking I would probably get
> if I attack it with wipes and solvent in situ.
>
> However - how easy of a procedure is it to remove, and what are the
> chances of putting it back out of alignment ? I am quite "handy" with
> most things - microelectronics, mechanics etc, but have zero experience
> fiddling with optics other than using this scope and colimating it. I
> did install the Peterson EZ-Focus and EZ-Clutch kits with no problems,
> so I'm not really worried about getting the thing apart and back
> together again, just worried about possible effects of misalignment
> etc....
>
> Any advice from anyone who has been there and done that ?
You may well find that a really gentle 'brush', will remove a large
quantity of the 'muck', without involving a full clean, A really soft
'lens' brush, or a brand new ladies 'foundation' brush, may remove most of
the problem.I'd suspect a large percentage is pollen, which can often be
removed this way. However it unfortunately can stick (especially if left
in place for a while), and if there is enough of it, a full clean may be
worthwhile.
For a 'full' clean, removal is the best option. The key is to ensure that
you know which way round it goes (front/back, and rotationally), and where
all the spacers are positioned around the edge. Normally the corrector is
marked, but if not, use a little drop of paint, and mark the edge, before
taking it out. The scope will still require re-collimation after
re-assembly, but this ensures that if it was rotationally aligned at the
factory for reasonable performance, you do go back into the same spot.
Remember also that for a full 'wash', you will want to remove the
secondary assembly as well, and this too should be marked to maintain
rotational alignment.

Best Wishes

  • Re: Cleaning SCT corrector plate
    ... >> clean it, but am really quite scared of touching the plate at all. ... >> removing the corrector plate to clean it on the bench - which seems quite ... > You may well find that a really gentle 'brush', ... > rotational alignment. ...
    (uk.sci.astronomy)
  • Re: paint brush cleaning
    ... I use the solvent (such as acetone, ... or tolulene) recommended by the paint manufacturer. ... brush, clean up to the feral. ...
    (rec.boats.building)
  • Re: Preserving paint brushes
    ... Natural bristle brushes are for oil based finishes. ... brush out with solvent until clean. ... Rinse one last time in clean thinner, ... I think the oils in the thinner help keep the bristles ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Best Airbrush at Hobbylobby?
    ... >> I would guess are Badger reboxings. ... >> clean, have heft, and fewer moving parts. ... > before buying it, but I got a great deal on it on eBay, jut the brush ... and 1 with a larger cup and medium tip. ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Re: Canon sensor cleaning
    ... Another option beyond a rubber blower bulb is a brush, which I'd recommend before resorting to a wet cleaning. ... There are lots of precautions about brushes too, in my experience a cheap dime store nylon makeup brush is fine but some will have special magic mild soaps and distilled water to rinse. ... The downside is missed shots because of the time it takes for the sensor to clean. ... If you are in the field and do not have the opportunity to clean, you take the shot and clean up the file in PP. ...
    (alt.photography)