Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:43:07 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , "adm"
> <adm1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Even if you are unlucky
> ie you don't smuggle!

True. Still, ordering from the US and then Customs NOT charging you for the
priviledge is (maybe) not illegal per se - they will of course bill you if
they can, but many shipments slip through. I suppose you COULD call them
afterwards and offer payment if that worries you. Mind you, it's almost
legitimising robbery to buy from some of the UK dealers these days....

I just ordered a Meade f3.3 focal reducer today from they US. $129.00 plus
$12 shipping. If customs want money, then it will be probably be under £20
for a shipment of that value. Total is still under £100 for an item that
sells here (at a well known dealer) for £149.99

I also bought a DSI Pro with the filter set some time ago - that came in at
almost exactly £300 including VAT, Duty and shipping. The same item is £450
here in the UK from the same dealer as above.

Finally, I also recently bought a DewBuster heater controller and some
heater tapes - arrived in 3 days for approximately half the UK prices of the
same duty charges requested.

I recommend - they communicate very well, package items well
and have good prices too !

>>and do get hit for VAT and Import Duty, products
>>bought from the USA are often still cheaper than buying them from UK
>>these days.
> You need also to remember that the warranty may be void if you buy
> overseas, and if the item gets damaged in shipping you could be left
> with an expensive repair bill.

Also true - so it probably doesn't make sense to buy a high value or complex
item from overseas unless you are willing to take that risk...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?
    ... >>> shipped it paid tax and import duty on it and added a profit margin ... The US astronomy market is big, ... > difficult as dealers are franchised by the manufacturer and they are not ... In the UK, the supplier is automatically liable, if there ...
  • Re: Stamford H-D See Ya
    ... Stamford Harley-Davidsion in CT, the dealer I bought a Heritage and my 1st Ultra from was running a sale. ... They're closing it down but plan to keep a service shop open at the location in a building next door. ... Yep more dealers closing under the debt load of those boutiques HD prompted them to build to promote whatever "biker" lifestyle is represented by boutiques. ...
  • Re: WTB Lasso herbicide
    ... now have a list of every distributor that has bought packaged Intrro ... these are the other CPS dealers who bought the packaged ... Non-CPS dealers who have bought it since July 2013: ... Monsanto stopped selling their alachlor-based herbicides earlier this ...
  • Re: Buying swiss in the Caribbean.
    ... > there are some good bargains to be had in duty free stores etc. ... V.A.T. and no or negligable local sales tax. ... One fact to keep in mind: Duty Free, does not mean at all free from any ... All the long time established dealers are just as reputable as on the ...
  • Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?
    ... >> tax and import duty on it and added a profit margin then it works out at ... > are *very* aware of guitar cases and the potential revenue in them. ... The US astronomy market is big, ... Importing a scope from the 'States can be a bit difficult as dealers ...