Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:17ref19tje0r70ej7r1e894v7930tn57tl@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:43:07 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , "adm"
> <adm1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Even if you are unlucky
>
> ie you don't smuggle!

True. Still, ordering from the US and then Customs NOT charging you for the
priviledge is (maybe) not illegal per se - they will of course bill you if
they can, but many shipments slip through. I suppose you COULD call them
afterwards and offer payment if that worries you. Mind you, it's almost
legitimising robbery to buy from some of the UK dealers these days....

I just ordered a Meade f3.3 focal reducer today from they US. $129.00 plus
$12 shipping. If customs want money, then it will be probably be under £20
for a shipment of that value. Total is still under £100 for an item that
sells here (at a well known dealer) for £149.99

I also bought a DSI Pro with the filter set some time ago - that came in at
almost exactly £300 including VAT, Duty and shipping. The same item is £450
here in the UK from the same dealer as above.

Finally, I also recently bought a DewBuster heater controller and some
heater tapes - arrived in 3 days for approximately half the UK prices of the
same items....no duty charges requested.

I recommend www.optcorp.com - they communicate very well, package items well
and have good prices too !

>>and do get hit for VAT and Import Duty, products
>>bought from the USA are often still cheaper than buying them from UK
>>dealers
>>these days.
>
> You need also to remember that the warranty may be void if you buy
> overseas, and if the item gets damaged in shipping you could be left
> with an expensive repair bill.

Also true - so it probably doesn't make sense to buy a high value or complex
item from overseas unless you are willing to take that risk...

  • Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?
    ... >>> shipped it paid tax and import duty on it and added a profit margin ... The US astronomy market is big, ... > difficult as dealers are franchised by the manufacturer and they are not ... In the UK, the supplier is automatically liable, if there ...
    (uk.sci.astronomy)
  • Re: Stamford H-D See Ya
    ... Stamford Harley-Davidsion in CT, the dealer I bought a Heritage and my 1st Ultra from was running a sale. ... They're closing it down but plan to keep a service shop open at the location in a building next door. ... Yep more dealers closing under the debt load of those boutiques HD prompted them to build to promote whatever "biker" lifestyle is represented by boutiques. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.harley)
  • Re: Buying swiss in the Caribbean.
    ... > there are some good bargains to be had in duty free stores etc. ... V.A.T. and no or negligable local sales tax. ... One fact to keep in mind: Duty Free, does not mean at all free from any ... All the long time established dealers are just as reputable as on the ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Exchange Rate $2799 = 2999 pounds?
    ... >> tax and import duty on it and added a profit margin then it works out at ... > are *very* aware of guitar cases and the potential revenue in them. ... The US astronomy market is big, ... Importing a scope from the 'States can be a bit difficult as dealers ...
    (uk.sci.astronomy)
  • Re: Budgeting for pinball maintenance?
    ... dealers will respond and relate how they work with corporate clients. ... break room that they bought from a rec room place, ... affiliated with the place they bought it, ...
    (rec.games.pinball)