Re: moderated newsgroups

On 2010-10-12, Kendall Down wrote:

On 11/10/2010 21:33, Alwyn wrote:

Well, Kendall has both been asserting the fallibility hypothesis and
praising John Cooper's reconstruction of the story based on all four
gospels. As I understand it, the latter is predicated on the idea that
each gospel account is inerrant but incomplete on its own.

The two are not incompatible. The *facts* of a situation are not
necessarily incompatible with the partial (and therefore faulty) account
given by any particular witness.

Joe Bloggs, passing the door of the bank, notices one robber. The teller
at the window facing the gun sees two. An examination of the CCTV
afterwards proves that there were three - two at the counter and one
guarding the door. Both witnesses - Joe and the teller - differ in their
count of the number of bank robbers, but both are correct.

So what's wrong with the idea that Genesis (in particular, the
creation part) is a metaphorical account in terms that ancient people
could understand, rather than a literally true account?

--
Some say the world will end in fire; some say in segfaults.
[XKCD 312]

  • Re: Gospel Message; was: Dare we be honest about Islam?
    ... components, such as the teachings of Christ, the historicity of His ... but rather we should keep the Gospels in their entirety. ... of Love, the account of God becoming flesh and dwelling among us, ... theologically pre-eminent, compared to Paul, because even though they ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Incomplete Wintergrate transfer
    ... have noticed that when I copy Bridge Copy a program from one account to ... another, the transfer is incomplete. ... There are no error messages and the ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Science
    ... That doesn't make them eyewitness accounts. ... clearly was not an eyewitness account itself but a redacting of other ... that exist between the various gospels. ... alone an "eye-witness account"). ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: OT - Whats with Liberals?
    ... have no basis to doubt Luke's account of things or the other gospels, ... Legend, tradition, and myth were the important things. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Administrator account
    ... > I've asked previously and been given a duff (or incomplete answer) ... > HOW do you access the root Administrator account on XP Home or XP ... > Professional WITHOUT accessing safe mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)