Re: Questions about the resurrection

"Gareth McCaughan" <Gareth.McCaughan@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:
877id5ttto.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| "PG" wrote:
|
| [me:]
| > | ISTM that when someone, addressing Christians, talks about
| > | a "sky fairy" he *is* referring to (what he knows that his
| > | interlocutors believe to be) a creator god; but declining
| > | to do so in the reverent terms that are very reasonably
| > | preferred by those who believe in the existence of that god.
|
| [PG:]
| > In the same way that a non-believer may be reluctant to capitalise 'god'.
|
| Maybe, though it doesn't seem quite the same to me -- maybe
| it depends on what sort of noncapitalization you have in mind.
| (Someone who writes "Christians believe that god wants them
| to read the Bible" might be leaving the word uncapitalized
| for skyfairyish reasons; someone who writes "Christians believe
| that their god wants them to read the Bible", probably not.)

Yes, I was mainly thinking of the first example. But in the second example, a
Christian writing the same phrase would probably omit 'our' altogether and just
write 'God' (capitalised). As if it's the one and only possibility (of a
deity)... even when addressing nonbelievers, or, say, Muslims. That grates a
little sometimes. So it could be argued that 'skyfairying' redresses the balance
a little ...

pga

  • Re: Atheists are the biggest fools on Earth
    ... We don't call such people scientists anymore. ... Christians don't get to decide what Christianity is. ... saved, go to Heaven, and be made right with God. ... God says purely on the basis of your own interpretation of certain ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Questions For Christians
    ... Questions For Christians 60 ... full God. ... To be son is to be less than divine and to be divine is to be no ... How could Jesus have the attributes of sonship and divinity ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS
    ... The Pagan Origins of the Cross ... In reading the New Testament we must cease to think of the man Jesus, ... "Crosses, moreover, we Christians neither venerate nor wish for. ... of more comprehensive truths about God. ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • The Incarnation of Satan - Part II
    ... "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, ... Those who stand up to say that Jesus Christ is the ... "And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the ... Christians - The Next Terrorists? ...
    (soc.religion.christian)
  • Reply to an old post by "maf" -um, warning, likely flammable
    ... > Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, Ruler of the heavens and host of fab parties, ... >>> like proselytizing Christians. ... > According to your cult, ... God did not create "homosexual orientation." ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)