Re: Yes, floods were caused by homosexuality.Bishop confirms. Met Office no comment yet.
- From: Paul Wright <-$P-W$-@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:24:32 +0100
In article <468a00eb$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Goodge wrote:
Floods are judgment on society, say bishops
According to a knowledgeable source on a mailing list that I read,
this is merely another example of the press quoting something out of
context. The bishop was interviewed on more than one topic, but quotes
from different topics (in this case, the floods and the bishop's
opinions on moral behaviour) were conflated in such a way as to give
an entirely false impression that comments made about the latter
related to the former.
Interesting. Has the Bishop himself issued a clarification? I can't find
anything of that sort on his web-site, which means I've only got you
reporting your anonymous source, vs a respectable news organ like the
Torygraph. I'm not sure what motivation the Telegraph has for distorting
his words. I'd've thought, as a conservative paper, they'd be in favour
of the C of E.
And then another set of comments from other senior clerics were added
in a way which suggested that they were supporting the invented quote
from the first bishop.
I noticed that.
So, it isn't really much of a story after all. Except to demonstrate
how eager some people are to disparage the church that they will fall
for media misrepresentation in this way.
Do you think the Bishop sounds very much better if he didn't link the
flooding to moral degeneracy, but merely compared the Government to the
Beast of Revelation for allowing its gay citizens equality under the
Paul Wright | http://www.noctua.org.uk/
Reply address is valid but discards anything which isn't plain text
- Prev by Date: Re: Iraqi doctor
- Next by Date: Re: Yes, floods were caused by homosexuality.Bishop confirms. Met Office no comment yet.
- Previous by thread: Re: Yes, floods were caused by homosexuality.Bishop confirms. Met Office no comment yet.
- Next by thread: Re: Yes, floods were caused by homosexuality.Bishop confirms. Met Office no comment yet.