Re: Conflicts, contrasts or differences between Catholics and Protestants in Great Britain

On 2006-04-25, Alec Brady <alec.brady@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wish I had that self-discipline! I'm sorry I went off the way I did.
I get a bit tired of people *assuming* that the protestant world-view
is obviously right, and you (quite innocently) triggered my irascible
humour. Sorry.

So am I!

But I have to point out that there is no such thing as "the protestant
world-view"; there's a very wide spectrum of Christian but
non-Roman-Catholic and non-Orthodox views. Certainly a lot of
Protestants (the ones I think of as "very Protestant") would say that
I don't hold (what they consider) "the Protestant view".

The only thing I find really objectionable in some of the "very
Protestant" views as well as in my perception (which is open to
correction) of the official RCC view (and I doubt that many RC people
hold the following attitude) is the monopolistic claim that "our
institution is right and other institutions are not just different but
wrong".

  • Re: Conflicts, contrasts or differences between Catholics and Protestants in Great Britain
    ... I get a bit tired of people *assuming* that the protestant world-view ... But I have to point out that there is no such thing as "the protestant ... church isn't constituted in institutions. ... together of the members of that spiritual community, ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Hey Popey
    ... it has been shown by a *Protestant* Professor of Religious Studies in America that the incidence of child abuse among the *married* *Protestant* clergy is actually higher than that among ... So why all this focus on the low incidence of child abuse among Catholic priests? ... humour hasn't reached craggy island yet. ... And what really makes me laugh (I have a warped sense of humour here on Craggy Island you see) is how they think the dullard they put up on the altar to replace the previous incumbent is "exciting", when in fact he shows nothing of the colour, dynamism, intelligence, and ability of his predecessor, and indeed is a terribly dull, uninformed, lifeless sloth whose only qualification for the job is that he was "wanted" by the Protestants. ...
    (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)
  • Re: Hey Popey
    ... But why is it mentalguy that you don't mention paedophile *Protestant* ... Religious Studies in America that the incidence of child abuse among the ... humour hasn't reached craggy island yet. ... what really makes me laugh (I have a warped sense of humour here on Craggy ...
    (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)