Re: How does one contact God?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:23:52 +0200, "Paul Dean"
<paul_nospamplease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:33:05 +0200, John Blake
<johnremovethisblake@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:19:04 +0200, "Paul Dean"
<paul_nospamplease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And then another difficulty is the difference between "seekers" and
"seekers". For the former it is a matter of curiosity and interest they
find engaging and potentially important; for the latter they are perhaps
more like sheep trying to find their shepherd. I admit that I
understand
neither sort, "seekers" nor indeed "seekers", never having been one
myself.

So, you have never needed to seek the truth? That's quite amazing.

I didn't find something, I was found and without me seeking it out, yes.

I will admit to being the first type of seeker mentioned. To be the
second type I would have to be convinced of the existence of a
'shepherd' in the first place.

And there you go - someone who is seeking to be /convinced/ is in a
different category of seeker to many, I think. God isn't a performing
seal to set up take away your responsibilities by presenting a finished
work of convincing logic. If that's what you're looking for you're very
unlikely to find it.

I'm sorry but I'm having a problem with making sense of this. Most
Christians that I have talked to think that you need to believe in the
Christian god to stand a chance of getting into heaven. If I find
myself unable to believe without some good (to me) evidence and am
denied such evidence because I am not 'seeking' in the right way (I
gather from what you have said that I should believe in God before I
start to seek) then what possible chance of success is there?
You have presented a barrier which no atheist could overcome. If God
won't reveal himself to all those who seek him then the possibility of
his existence seems even more remote to me.

I don't understand why anyone would waste their time in that, so
I postulate that the latter sort of seeker is somehow more genuine.

You think that anyone showing interest in your religion is wasting
their time? Now that is revealing.

I can't see why it doesn't seem so to the one interested. Go and have fun
doing something else until such time as you *really* have to know, rather
than idly having an intellectual itch scratched.

When will that be, do you think?

JB

  • Re: Divine revelation and social construction
    ... "I cannot imagine God refusing to do so" when it comes to guidance. ... Baha'u'llah is the Promised One and my prayers were answered. ... from this association I can accept all the previous Manifestations whereas when a Christian I was taught that only Christ could get me to heaven. ... Maybe those who are not sincerely seeking receive what their ego prompted imagination offers instead of true inspiration. ...
    (soc.religion.bahai)
  • Re: Re-Creation
    ... for it's definitely is my goal to become a "true seeker". ... Kent Johnson wrote: ... Susan and I were talking about individual capacity under a revelation from God intended for all humanity. ...
    (soc.religion.bahai)
  • Najem pours, then Bonita yearly awards a fucking ocean for example Pattys desert.
    ... the machine, on seeking by reason. ... find some light, but that, according to this very religion, if he believed ... the one is human, the other is a gift of God. ... To expect help from these externals is superstition; ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: How does one contact God?
    ... God isn't a performing ... I'm not saying anything definite about John, only trying to describe one sort of seeker of which John *may* be an example. ... The responsibilities I mention are things like doing some leg-work in making it possible to believe instead of expecting it handed on a plate, but I plainly can't explain what I mean very well. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Todays Golf Photos
    ... Seeking any way to avoid getting his clothes caked with mud after a ... Henrik Stenson came up with only one alternative -- ... God created him wearing tighty-whitey boxer briefs? ...
    (soc.motss)