Re: Pay for your rescue.

Richard Webb wrote:
good point, I had forgotten the "keep away from the countryside"
er, "the countryside is open" comedy act. Was Scotland all open?
I encountered "Keep out F&M risk" signs south of Glen Coe after
the risk was supposed to have diminished.

Problems at first... no one knew what areas were infected.
Some nonsense about wearing skis (downhill only) or carrying golf
clubs redendering you non infectious - pure walking a no no

By the end of March differences had appeared. Balmoral and Invercauld
amoungst others publicly welcomed visitors.

Soon government advice was that it was OK to go out except in
Dumfriesshire and surrounding areas, badly affected as part of the
big outbreak centred on Longtown.

Most areas were open, but there were some still hanging on to
closure.. Mull, The NTS and others. The landowners that tried to
keep the hills closed were ignored by many ,........

Not this half of a walking freeloading couple (to quote our new muppet). We
cancelled our trip for May because the farming contingent in the Lochcarron
area outvoted the guest house and holiday cottage owners to keep their land
closed at a village/community meeting (source, owner of cottage, resident in
area, who, generously, didn't charge for the cancellation). Regardless of
the legal status and the statements from the Scottish Office (all very
welcoming and pro-walking), we were not going to go on *holiday* to be faced
with hostility (or worse) from the locals.
So, something between five to seven hundred pounds went out of the Scottish
(and UK) economy and we went to Brittany in France.

Net effect, we now regularly walk in France. We went back to Lochcarron the
following year and had a decent week's holiday, and we still visit Scotland
regularly, but the loss to UK tourism over the last five years has been
something around 10 weeks holiday money.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  • Re: Pay for your rescue.
    ... Was Scotland all open? ... I encountered "Keep out F&M risk" signs south of Glen Coe after ... we were not going to go on *holiday* to be faced ... something around 10 weeks holiday money. ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Hold the phone: the real story behind Gaddafigate crisis
    ... In a farcical twist to 'Gaddafigate' worthy of Yes, Prime Minister, it ... Justice in London did call civil servants in Scotland prior to Blair's ... 25, was an official public holiday in Scotland, the entire Scottish ... the failure to make contact led to fury in the Scottish ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Morvich - Scotland
    ... If you choose Scotland for your main summer holiday you will feel ... The following year you'll want to go anywhere other than from Scotland. ... plenty of good, safe, sandy beaches on the East coast too. ... The really spectacular scenery, the ...
    (uk.rec.caravanning)
  • Re: OT : (holiday)home
    ... >> privatehome in southwest Scotland or the southern Highlands with enough ... >holiday properties, their facilities, costs and locations at leisure. ... >for southern Highlands and south-west Scotland respectively. ... Locations we've taken the kids to include ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: Tramways: a comparison
    ... Why is it that every naysayer out there always assumes that Scotland ... will be emptied on the day we assume independence from the UK? ... Risk, and who you believe. ... taxation experiments etc) would mean that the company would up sticks ...
    (uk.railway)