Re: Pay for your rescue.

Richard Webb wrote:
good point, I had forgotten the "keep away from the countryside"
er, "the countryside is open" comedy act. Was Scotland all open?
I encountered "Keep out F&M risk" signs south of Glen Coe after
the risk was supposed to have diminished.

Problems at first... no one knew what areas were infected.
Some nonsense about wearing skis (downhill only) or carrying golf
clubs redendering you non infectious - pure walking a no no

By the end of March differences had appeared. Balmoral and Invercauld
amoungst others publicly welcomed visitors.

Soon government advice was that it was OK to go out except in
Dumfriesshire and surrounding areas, badly affected as part of the
big outbreak centred on Longtown.

Most areas were open, but there were some still hanging on to
closure.. Mull, The NTS and others. The landowners that tried to
keep the hills closed were ignored by many ,........

Not this half of a walking freeloading couple (to quote our new muppet). We
cancelled our trip for May because the farming contingent in the Lochcarron
area outvoted the guest house and holiday cottage owners to keep their land
closed at a village/community meeting (source, owner of cottage, resident in
area, who, generously, didn't charge for the cancellation). Regardless of
the legal status and the statements from the Scottish Office (all very
welcoming and pro-walking), we were not going to go on *holiday* to be faced
with hostility (or worse) from the locals.
So, something between five to seven hundred pounds went out of the Scottish
(and UK) economy and we went to Brittany in France.

Net effect, we now regularly walk in France. We went back to Lochcarron the
following year and had a decent week's holiday, and we still visit Scotland
regularly, but the loss to UK tourism over the last five years has been
something around 10 weeks holiday money.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/