Re: Desingning new premises.

Eddie Langdown wrote:

I was chair of a committee responsible for designing and building our new
church premises and having been really pleased with the architect, his
method of working in collaboration with us, and end result. I am suggesting
he put forward a scheme for developing the scout hall for a group elsewhere.
Clearly, the contract to build would need to be put to tender, but has
anyone experience to say if we would also need to put the role of architect
out to competition/ tender? They might want to, but would they have to?
Eddie Langdown 16th Bermondsey London

No, they wouldn't have to. Choosing your professional advisers on the basis
of least cost is seldom sensible - the other things you mention - prior good
relationship, way of working, successful outcome - are far more valuable
than any money you might save. Some potential funders may want to know how
you selected your architect, so if you don't have a tender you should be
sure that the selection process is open and documented - Minutes of a
Committee Meeting, for instance, giving the basis of Eddie's recommendation,
asking other members for their recommendation, and recording the agreement
not to tender.

--
John Russell
CSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon

  • Re: Desingning new premises.
    ... Clearly, the contract to build would need to be put to tender, but has ... anyone experience to say if we would also need to put the role of architect ... I would suggest that as a result of any fee tender, ... Its always a bit risky recommending someone as the result for lots of ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)
  • Re: Desingning new premises.
    ... Clearly, the contract to build would need to be put to tender, but has ... anyone experience to say if we would also need to put the role of architect ... We have had problems with this - our first architect drew the plans up ... We eventually got a firm to work on a pay upon completion of funding ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)
  • Re: Desingning new premises.
    ... anyone experience to say if we would also need to put the role of architect ... Eddie Langdown 16th Bermondsey London ... So specify timescales, deliverables ... it cost extra to modify them for re-submission. ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)
  • Re: Desingning new premises.
    ... church premises and having been really pleased with the architect, ... I am suggesting ... he put forward a scheme for developing the scout hall for a group ... Clearly, the contract to build would need to be put to tender, ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)
  • Re: Desingning new premises.
    ... church premises and having been really pleased with the architect, ... method of working in collaboration with us, ... I am suggesting ... Clearly, the contract to build would need to be put to tender, ...
    (uk.rec.scouting)