Re: Topper Topaz vs. Laser Pico dinghy quality

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 08:27 +0100, Alan C Clark wrote:

Both of these boats would be, in my opinion, too small for you. I have
sailed a Pico, I am 195cm and around 110 Kg, there was very little room to
move around in and certainly not the space for a passenger, however small.
They are both small boats, they will not have the stability to reassure a
small child, especially with you crashing about!

I have the same problem as you, last week I took my 4 year old daughter
sailing for the first time, so now I have to find a suitable boat to take
her again until she's big enough for an optimist. My Phantom is big enough
but is far too unstable, and I think that a proper, "sit in", stable boat is
vital to build confidence in the water. So the list is;

(a) Laser 2000 - ideal but expensive
(b) Sport 14 - big, no longer in production, very few around.
(c) GP 14 - ideal, but a little long in the tooth - can pay as much as you
want to.
(d) Miracle - nice sail, cheap, little small but stable, cheap
(e) RS Vision - bigish, stable, robust, quite expensive, but not a pleasant
sail.
(f) Topper Omega - bigish, stable, robust, quite expensive
(g) Wanderer - big, heavy, slow....

Hope this helps

Alan

I would also add the Comet Duo to the above list.
I have an RS Vision that I sail with my 5 and 3 year old. I disagree
that it's 'not a pleasant sail', it may not have quite the class of the
Laser 2000 but IMO it's a much better boat than the Topper.
The Pico may be ok to get you started but I suspect you would quickly
outgrow it - my club hires out Picos for 3 months at a time, it might be
an idea to see if you can find an arrangement like that or at least
borrow one for a couple of days to see how it works out.

  • Re: Topper Topaz vs. Laser Pico dinghy quality
    ... i feel this boat would be too small for you and your son as two 14 ... topper- i currentli sail this boat and find it a brilliant boat, ... friendly version of the "family" vision. ... within mt budget (almost same price as the Pico and Topaz). ...
    (uk.rec.sailing)
  • Re: More proof that Bruce on the Bangkok Dock is no sailor
    ... and installation my wife was recutting and sewing the sail so we were ... America (maybe you've heard of that boat) was gaff rigged. ... I've watched no fewer than four boats at anchor with wind-ups that unrolled in a storm and flogged themselves to shreds. ... have no winches at all on your boat. ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: March 7th - Making Bail, Equipment Failure and other fish stories
    ... who's coming to sail with us for a few days. ... When he leaves the boat, he'll then give us a ride back to the ... attachment point on the boom where the preventer mounted. ... Marinade: Crush 5 fresh garlic cloves, ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: How sailing failure is defined.
    ... Bruce at the Bangkok dock ... Dave the lawyer who doesn't even own a boat ... represent the various ways folks can become sailing failures. ... slap out and was forced to sail and found out he didn't know how to sail ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: More proof that Bruce on the Bangkok Dock is no sailor
    ... have a conventional mainsail that was hauled aloft on track or groove ... I guess that means poor old Joshua Slocum, the first man to sail ... America (maybe you've heard of that boat) was gaff rigged. ... f you use slab reefing, on a normal size cruising boat, you reef, say ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)