Windmilling up wind.
- From: Tony Cook <theidiamin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:27:44 GMT
I missed last year's (?) thread but but a good troll deserves a re-run.
You can windmill up wind and over tide, I know, I've seen it done.
There was an Iroquois,(A hell of a waste of a boat that I would love to have) on the Blackwater back in the seventies which had a windmill attached to its mast which was used to drive a propellor.
It was hellish slow in any direction but it would go straight upwind.
From personal observation at the time it would have been a whole lot faster to fly a conventional rig and tack when necessary but I dare swear the owner loved it. Most others laughed themselves silly once they had rubbed the sheer incredulity from their eyes, (Self included) but each to his own.
- Prev by Date: Re: The richard montgomery matter
- Next by Date: Re: The richard montgomery matter
- Previous by thread: Bembridge restaurants
- Next by thread: Re: Windmilling up wind.