Re: Bavarias - reply to all.

"Duncan Heenan" <duncanheenan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4357f5fd_2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "PyroJames" <drpyrojames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > snip<
> > I admit you have to put in the time yourself though, if you are going
> > to pay someone else to do everything, then you will need very deep
> > pockets indeed.
>
> If you put the time in yourself, you need to cost in the opportunity cost
of
> your time. If, for example, you are a professional such as a Solicitor,
> Accountant, Medical Consultant, Consulting Engineer etc. you ought to cost
> in the loss of earning for time spent scraping the boat when you could be
> earning. An average charge out rate for such people would be, say £200 an
> hour outside London, so an 8 hour day spent on the boat 'costs' maybe
> £1,600. Alternatively you can pay a boatyard less to do it and probably
get
> a better job.
> I accept that some people find scraping & varnishing a form of relaxation,
> but I doubt if they stop to think much about the true economic cost of
their
> hobby. I can't attempt to put a value on spiritual satisfaction, but that
> wasn't in the question.
> What made me weep most when auditing/financing Marinas etc., though, was
> see how little some of the boats were ever used.

I feel this "loss of earnings" accounting approach a bit of a red herring -
surely messing with boats is a leisure activity and does not replace work
time - if it does than that is one's choice - to 'spend' earning time on
leisure.
An accountant's leisure time has an equal value to that of say, a teacher,
despite their different incomes.
What the real cost is, in my view, is the 'leisure opportunity cost' i.e. if
you are spending time rubbing down brightwork then you cannot spend that
time doing some other leisure activity.

Come the revolution......accountants and jet-skiers will be the first up
against the wall.

Solidarity brothers ;-)

Floatything

.