Tweaked hamstring

I'm well into my training towards this year's Stockholm Marathon (June
9th) and on Sunday evening I ran 18 miles in 2.30mins which for me is
a pretty good time. I felt really fast and strong at the end and could
easily have gone further. On Monday I rested and on Tuesday I went to
the local running track to do some 400 metre sprints. On my 10th lap I
felt my hamstring tweak and stopped immediately, hoping that it would
come to nothing. I was so upset as this is the first time I've damaged
a muscle for 18 months. Wednesday I couldn't run - too painful. I left
it completely on Thursday and iced it and deep heated it as much as I
could. Friday I went for a short 15 minute jog and felt okay. Today
(Saturday) I got up and my leg felt good - an awareness that it was
not rquite right but no real pain. I tried to go for a slightly longer
slow jog but it tweaked again. Aagghh!!!

I think its only a tweak and not a strain or a tear but have you any
suggestions for speeding up the healing? I'm not going to run for
another 5 days and I might try some cycling instead. I'm almost 50
years old by the way and I recognise that sprinting is not an ideal
exercise for me any more.

  • Re: Tweaked hamstring
    ... the local running track to do some 400 metre sprints. ... felt my hamstring tweak and stopped immediately, ... I was so upset as this is the first time I've damaged ... slow jog but it tweaked again. ...
    (uk.rec.running)
  • Re: Tweaked hamstring
    ... 9th) and on Sunday evening I ran 18 miles in 2.30mins which for me is ... the local running track to do some 400 metre sprints. ... felt my hamstring tweak and stopped immediately, ... slow jog but it tweaked again. ...