Re: OT: Okay, who stole the other mouse button?

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:58:12 +0000, Phil Launchbury wrote:

In article <pan.2007.11.05.20.27.24.789174@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, YTC#1
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:55:57 +0000, Phil Launchbury wrote:

I'd harp on about using Solaris as a laptop/desktop system but it just
seems to upset people, they get the impression I am anti MS.

I'd be happy to use Slowlaris once is gets dragged into the 21st
century..

I think you need to do some reading.

I read more than you think I do..

try starting at http://www.opensolaris.org

Already read. It's a start - but I don't see any great rush by anyone to
use it. Or write drivers for it. It's nice to see that Sun realise that
CDE and Motif suck bigtime and that people actually want usable GUI
workspaces but I suspect it's too little, too late. A bit like OS/2 Warp
4.

OS2/Warp, now there is a blast from the past.

But while I agree the desktop/laptop area has still not taken off much yet
in the commercial world, S10 and Express (S11) are making inroads in a lot
of places in the server and SunRay market. The VM arena is bouyant,
expecially as we can do it with Sparc through all levels of HW and OS
(with the Niagra kit) (LDOMS, zones, Xen)

Drivers are being written by the comunity, like the Linux comunity.

So, why not bite the bullet and dual boot for a while ? You will probably
be suprised. It will come as no suprise to you that I run Solaris only at
home, with Win98 and XP in a vitual session on Solaris if needed.

Phil.

--
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GS550, GSX250, 750SS
POTM#1(KoTL), WUSS#1 , YTC#1(bar), OSOS#2(KoTL) , DS#3 , IbW#18 ,Apostle#8

  • Driver Compatibility - Sound Blaster
    ... I have a suggestion for Sun, OpenSound.com, and Solaris driver ... Probably the biggest sound card manufacturer in North America. ... everything installed and how one had to apparently license the DRIVERS, ... SUN, change your HCL recommendations. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Whos using National Instruments Hardware/Labview / Measurement Studio for Home Automation?
    ... any sparc Solaris NI stuff? ... but you can download NI drivers for eight different NI HPIB boards ... module has 16X better resolution than the ELK/Ocelot/etc HA controllers ... NI Drivers for Nikon digital cameras and other neat stuff (like ...
    (comp.home.automation)
  • Re: Linux Advocates Fear Solaris 10.
    ... A good example is the network drivers that ... the absence of the Solaris source tree and then simply drop in. ... > Which is definitely an area where Solaris / Sun have an advantage, ... The open source product is/will be called "Open Solaris". ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Looking For 10/100 Ethernet Card With Solaris 8 Drivers
    ... PCI Card for the Ultra 30 running Solaris 8 ... But what about Solaris drivers? ... When the transceivers on my Ultra 30 and Ultra 60 (both running ... cards with a Realtek ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: OT: Okay, who stole the other mouse button?
    ... It will come as no suprise to you that I run ... Solaris only at home, with Win98 and XP in a vitual session on Solaris ... 'Problem is that my Mac Mini has a combined disk space of ... Nevada using ZFS, ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)