We are a lighthouse

We have to move office at work in a few weeks so I've been clearing
out my desk and found a piece of paper with an old "You need to move
15 degrees north to avoid hitting us" vs "No, you need to move 15
degrees south to avoid hitting us" story. It's very much a ginge, but
I was trying to work out the origins of the story and can't easily
find it. I just did a Google search for "We are a lighthouse. Your
call" and it available as English vs Irish and many other derivatives.
Urban legend, I'm sure.

The one I'm quoting is the first one I saw. You probably all saw it
years ago too, but I'm in an 'everything old is new again' mood:

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation of a U.S.
naval ship with the Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland
October 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid
a collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to
the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert
YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED
BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I
DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN,
THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTERMEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN
TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

--
-- Nick -==- ICQ: 9235201 -==- EMAIL & MSN: nickmooney@xxxxxxxxxxx -
-- Kawasaki ER-5 - LOTR#4 SKOGA#8 DS#7 BOTAFOT#159 BOTM#2 FBOTY#06 -