James Mays Top Toys

This programme was on BBC2 on Wednesday night, I missed it but caught
the last few minutes. Looks like it was a good show, sorry I missed it

He had a Hornby train set (yes a proper train set, not a model
railway). This seemed to be on a board only about three or three and a
half feet wide by about eight feet long.

In N everything new in British outline requires at least 10.5 inch
radius curves, so for a single track loop you need a minimum 23
inches. Continental stuff will happily make it round 7.5 inch radius
curves (obviously these should be hidden) and also features impressive
very close coupling, but it costs a lot.

Given that the Hornby stuff made it on what looks like a three foot
wide board I might consider changing scales to OO get the benefit of
improved running. I was thinking of On16.5 industrial outside. An
experimental board of painted marine ply with a topping of 'insertion
jointing' (used for insertion between concrete building sections) has
been sitting outside for three or four years now and seems okay.

I should be settling down in the next few months - If I make wardrobes
four feet high I can run the layout on top and use the 'wardrobes' to
carry the return curves.

What does the group suggest is a realistic minimum radius for current
(and future) OO scale..

Mike

  • Re: James Mays Top Toys
    ... > half feet wide by about eight feet long. ... Continental stuff will happily make it round 7.5 inch radius ... > curves and also features impressive ... > I should be settling down in the next few months - If I make wardrobes ...
    (uk.rec.models.rail)
  • Re: Zits 1 14 05
    ... By then, most Interstates had at least retroreflective paint and usually retroreflective markers for the center line, and of course the curves are for the most part much more gentle, and when they're not they're very well-marked Except for the deer problem, the extra visual range isn't all that necessary. ... The common practice of most drivers is to dim their headlamps when approaching within about 1,000 feet of an oncoming vehicle. ... I do find high beams in the opposite lane on most divided highways to be distracting and sometimes even painful.) ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: N guage questions
    ... PECO streamline code 80, mostly flexitrak, steam and diesel from ... Whats recommended minimum radius for semicircle, ... If you are planning to use tight-ish curves it might be better to use ...
    (uk.rec.models.rail)
  • Re: Hornby Carriage wheels.
    ... as NZ gauge is 3'6''). ... 3' radius and with rather more effort 2.5' radius. ... Sounds like it needs hand-laid track with gauge widening on the curves. ... I do have the Railway society plans and the usual photos in my ...
    (uk.rec.models.rail)
  • Re: Question on minimum HO radius
    ... I'm thinking on trying a layout using an O Gauge train on HO track (or ... HO engine and cars, however I want to compress the overall layout size ... Theoretically I'm hoping this will allow for tighter curves and I'll use ... flex track to set the eventual radius. ...
    (rec.models.railroad)