Re: Wood Lathe

"Jonathan Barnes" <jbarnes6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dula4n$1b0$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Michael" <miQchaelQhQims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
"Jonathan Barnes" <jbarnes6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

I make it 770 kg.... still not something I would want to drop
on my toes...

might hiring some scaffold poles to make a frame from be a
way to go ?

Regards Jonathan

to carve a log that size down to a submarine hull shape is a huge amount
of
work.. and actually achieving the shape on a home made jig will be very
difficult.

for a fibre glass hull you could make a series of thin plywood bulkheads,
slotted on to a pair of thick central forms set at right angles. fill the
gaps with foam, ( polyurethane ) and lay up the fibre glass on the foam.
It would be easy to model blow tanks, deck, conning tower etc, which it
would not be possible to do with a simple turned log.

--
Regards Jonathan

remove AT to reply

Well if I have to use another method then I will, but I really want to
exhaust the lathe possiibility first.

Michael

.