Poor Strawberry Performance

Hi all

My Elsantas dont seem to be doing as well as usual this year.

Am I right in thinking that in rainier years more growth will go into the
foliage than fruit?
Also, the plants are 5 years old - is it time to replant?

If I do replant, are the new runners from the existing plants likely to be
OK, or should I be starting with "fresh stock"?
Is there a difference between new runners from old (maybe tired) plants and
"brand new" plants grown from seed perhaps?

Thanks

Phil

  • Re: Strawberries - second crop?
    ... Last year my then 2-year old plants ... were producing fruit through the autumn but comparatively few runners. ... slivers which I spread around everywhere. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Basket Strawberries
    ... I've a few strawberry plants in hanging baskets that are starting to put out ... Strawberries naturally put out runners as part ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Basket Strawberries
    ... I've a few strawberry plants in hanging baskets that are starting to put out ... Strawberries naturally put out runners as part ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Strawberry Runners
    ... I assume I just trim off all the runners. ... You can use those runners to make new plants. ... patch elsewhere so you're not cultivating the same crop on the same soil. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Strawberry Runners
    ... I assume I just trim off all the runners. ... You can use those runners to make new plants. ... Strawberry plants are generally ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)