Allotment Society produce show

Is this weekend.

Well, I've just eaten this year's crop of gooseberries (all 3 of them) so unless there is a category for the biggest weight of weeds per square metre I'm not sure I have anything to enter.

Been away from the allotment for a few weeks because I damaged a knee and the weeds have grown enormously in that time in the cultivated area.
I found the garlic again last night, and the end of the rows of leeks (still alive but in hiding), onions (from sets) (also still alive but hiding) and there are a few cabages peeping out of the weed cover.
So some careful but extensive weeding should hopefully reveal the surviving vegetables.
The upside (as my allotment neighbour keeps reminding me) is that if the weeds grow so well then it most be good ground.
The downside is that the garlic (and presumably the onions) has grown leggy because of all the surrounding weeds.
Hopefull it will firm up now daylight is visible.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

  • Re: Garlic, shallot and onion query
    ... but I dug through the weeds of where I thought they had all ... think it may be a heavy year for white rot, ... In order of poor performance, I seem to have: garlic, white onions, brown ... Onions hate weeds around them, if you weed only one thing it has to be the onions. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: How to train
    ... (weeds simply refuse to grow in lines) ... shaped leaves then it's probably grass or onions. ... If you don't bow down to superior intellect, ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: How to train
    ... (weeds simply refuse to grow in lines) ... shaped leaves then it's probably grass or onions. ... If you don't bow down to superior intellect, ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Allotment Society produce show
    ... the weeds have grown enormously in that time in the cultivated area. ... alive but in hiding), onions and ... The downside is that the garlic (and presumably the onions) has grown leggy ... Things are pretty poor with me too. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: onions spacing
    ... "David in Normandy" wrote ... I don't think the onions like these little cuts and grazes. ... Difficult to always "miss" them sometimes though when weeds are very close and I'm getting tired after having just hoed several rows of them. ... Perhaps accounts for the handful of rotten onions when I harvest them? ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)