Tall plant needed

My garden is very small, 5 yds by 9 yds but it is very full of plants.
It backs onto a path which serves our back gates.
Now the housing association who own the site have decided the paths
need upgrading (fine!) but also that for Health and Safety the lane
should have lights though we've managed for 30 years without lights!
They have put up a full height street lamp post immediately behind my
fence. We are fighting it but when/if they install the lamp it will
be 9 yds from my sitting room and bedroom windows.
I want to plant something to hide it. I had a lovely tall eucalyptus
growing there until 2 years ago but as it got tall I cut it back, as
they say you can do , but it did not regrow.
The fence runs S-N.
Any suggestions on something tall and slim?
There's not much space either width-wise or at soil level.
I don't like prunus amanaganogawa which a friend suggested.
On the new AT prog last night (more Ground Force!) someone planted
tall palms but that would not look right here.
Another euc? Or is there something else?
HELP please.

Pam in Bristol

  • Re: Slow growth in a small tank
    ... If your tank is like a US 20 gallon tall, you probably want at least 50W-60W of light rather than the 30W you currently have. ... Can you recommend any compact but vigorous plants I can fill it the gaps with? ... With more light, try Limnophila, Water sprite, any Hygrophila spp. ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants)
  • Re: Azalea bushes
    ... tall, and they are fuschia colored, very beautiful right now for Easter. ... coworkers that is knowlegable in plants tells me that it will not hurt the ... But that is not the normal way to treat azaleas. ... Here are some things you can do to help the health of the plants. ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Novice gardener purchased bay/goji/rosemary and already having problems help please
    ... I decided 4 weeks ago to by a bay tree (30cm tall) rosemary ... and goji berry ... All three plants have been potted in peat free compost with stones at ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Mixed results from my garden.
    ... weed or bug killers. ... The straw held down the weeds very good. ... Stupendous corn 6 ft tall. ... I still have A couple of stunted plants. ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: ID this flower, please?
    ... Those plants were growing amids lots of weeds ... I would say they were approx 50 to 80cm tall. ... South Devon ... helenium is a closer match. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)