Currants struggling

Hi

I have a mostly flourishing mother plant (redcurrant) that I took 9
hardwood cuttings from at christmas, but the last 2 of these have now
died.

The mother plant is doing very well growth wise, but the strigs are
only 2-2.5" and half of the berries have run. It gets no morning sun
and no afternoon shade. The soil is mildly alkaline, no chalk though.
So its not ideal, but its working anyway.

The cuttings though just aren't surviving. Most produced a few leaves.
Some had their leaves eaten at some point, the rest just turned brown
and died for reasons that are a mystery. The one that lasted longest
was the only one in nearly full shade in a corner.

What can I do to get these cuttings to make it?

NT
.