Yet more Wisteria

In <http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7809091_time-plant-wisteria.html> I read

"Warning

Do not grow wisteria near gutters, where the runners can climb them and clog them. Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants are invasive and can choke out the local plants. Instead, choose wisterias that are native to the United States.
"

I think all the Wisteria I have seen online are Chinese/Japanese - haven't noticed any US natives.

Presumably even though this is a '.co.uk' site it is relaying US-centric advice?

I was looking for when to plant out Wisteria as I noted the supplier in the previous thread only supplied plants for the first six months of the year.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

  • Re: Yet more Wisteria
    ... Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants are invasive and can choke out the local plants. ... I was looking for when to plant out Wisteria as I noted the supplier in the previous thread only supplied plants for the first six months of the year. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Yet more Wisteria
    ... Do not grow wisteria near gutters, where the runners can climb them and clog ... Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants ... You can buy them online from the RHS ... Thanks - featured ones on main site are Chinese/Japanese. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Yet more Wisteria
    ... Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants are invasive and can choke out the local plants. ... I think all the Wisteria I have seen online are Chinese/Japanese - haven't noticed any US natives. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: My poor Wisteria :-(
    ... it faces west and is established and flowering size. ... including some Wisteria plants not far from me, ... range of ages of the effected plants suggests it is not an establishment ... my next thought was water logging last year damaging roots but ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Two "new" pests...
    ... The Southern Green Shield Bug is spreading in Britain ... Wisteria Scale from Asia, ... killing even old mature plants. ... fruit trees too. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)