Wallflowers

AFAIK the accepted thing with wallflowers is to grow them from seed/small plants one year, have them flower the next year, then take them out (possibly after letting the seed set and fall if you are trying to maintain a bed by self seeding).
Effectively treating a perennial as a biennial to maximise the flowering potential.

Well, had a self seeded wallflower this year come into flower around May/June, set a load of seed.
I tied up the seed pods (still on the plant) to a cane to mature and meant to come back later and remove the plant.

However it got left, and has now grown to about 5 times the original size and has flowered several times (although not as much as the first time). It is still flowering now.

I am tempted to leave it to see what it will do next year.
If it survives the winter, the options are to just let it get on, and hopefully seed the bed for future years, or prune it back medium to hard in the spring to see if it will produce a reasonable amount of flower on new growth.

Anyone tried this?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

  • No TLC needed for these out-of-the-ordinary plants
    ... Dreams you'll find blooms with deep raspberry centers bleeding out to ... traditional flower bed. ... Achillea Summer Berries ... This plant can really enhance a border and, once again is easy to care ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: More than one squash at a time?
    ... A hot wind really dries out the plant. ... >>after their open-flower stage, rather than ... its flower opens or any days later. ... not been pollinated and prepares to abort that tiny fruit it discovers IT ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: Beetles, Acers and well
    ... They get murdered by snails and slugs but a couple seem ready to flower ... What I don't know about Cardiocrinums could be written on the entire ... I have been told to dig up the plant and pot on the small ... Despite this the bulbs still beefed up. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Beetles, Acers and well
    ... They get murdered by snails and slugs but a couple seem ready to flower ... What I don't know about Cardiocrinums could be written on the entire storage ... One bulb was given the big ... I have been told to dig up the plant and pot on the small bulbs. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Best time to prune / cut back overgrown Cape Fuschia ?
    ... for the plants in its close vicinity which flower in late spring. ... plant and comes through the winter with us here, ... present growth on it as some form of winter protection. ... the plant will then flower on the side shoots. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)