Re: Is my bay tree past helping?

On 28 Mar, 12:27, n...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
In article <6042459c-4b38-44c7-8aee-596d4085f...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

sutartsorric  <sutartsor...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didnt know that either. My bay has survived the winter despite being
in a large pot and next to the shed facing northeast, with night
temperatures as low as minus 10C in January. A few lower leaves are
yellow, but the rest look ok. It had no protection throughout the
winter, so maybe I have just been very lucky.

They aren't as tender as all that - mild frosts, like the occasional
drop to -10 Celsius, aren't a problem.  Below that, they start to
lose leaves; below about -15, all their top growth will die.  As
usual, that is very rough, as it depends on the other conditions
(duration, wind, damp/dry, timing etc.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well, make up your mind.

Earlier in this thread you stated;

"Bay is not very hardy, and used to go brown every year in Cambridge,
but this winter wasn't particularly hard here. Once the bark freezes,
the top will die completely. But they can regrow from fairly deep
roots."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I would have thought that an air temperature of -10C is quite a sharp
frost, not a 'mild' one (whatever that means).

Is there a definition of exactly what "hardy" means, in terms of
ability to survive cold winters?

  • Re: Cycad (Sago palm) & winter
    ... I lived and gardened in Dallas for 6 years. ... Sago palms are not hardy ... Most winters have night temperatures in the 20's for a week at ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Effects of transit on congestion
    ... 104 degrees and dry isn't immediately lethal, but can deceive you into thinking you're not as hot as you are, and then you die of dehydration. ... people in some areas of the world survive those and much higher temperatures. ... Note that dehydration is one of the most common killers of people on earth. ... This was not the case for many of those in Europe. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Effects of transit on congestion
    ... But 104 F temperatures are well within the normal human ... People here die every year from hot summers. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Ultra low temperature microcontroller ?
    ... enviroment including temperatures lower than -40 deg. C. ... Put the microcontoller between the driver's thighs. ... expantion/contraction between the die and the package. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)