Re: What kind of worms?

Des Higgins <dazzhiggins@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
On Sep 4, 12:48 pm, K <k...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Des Higgins <dazzhigg...@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes

We always used to put veg peelings on the compost heap but that was to
get rid of them rather than to make compost. We mainly make compost
from grass clippings and shreddings.

I put cardboard and paper on mine as well. In winter, it gets a high proportion of card and paper, so veg peelings are a welcome addition.

Does that mean you put fish heads and meat scraps in the cone?

Everything that comes off plates after dinner, anything that has gone
off, bones (not much as most of the family are vegetarian), and yes,
fish heads. We only started it a few weeks ago for the first few
weeks it was smelly, I am hoping it will calm down. We did put some
stuff in that would stink to high heaven anyway (meaty bones). It is
a big cone shaped thing. It has a basket underneath that gets buried
about 1.5Mdeep. Initially it has no worms or wildlife. I guess they
will take time to find it.

When I lived in a house with no indoor loo, I had a hole just outside the back door which took a large amount of urine (on a wet windy night it's far nicer to use a bucket and tip it outside the back door rather than head off down the garden and sit in a draughty hut), tea leaves and veg peelings - it was as sweet as anything and produced wonderful compost.
--
Kay

  • Re: Carol Klein row
    ... Why on earth didn't she? ... I do know that if the compost was only 20 yards from my back door and was a permanent feature when it 'could' have been nearer to her house and it was above my courtyard so water seeped down then I might not be so happy either. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Ants in compost bin
    ... bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were ... 1000's of ants. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Ants in compost bin
    ... Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? ... bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were ... or try and kill them and if I should ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Ants in compost bin
    ... Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? ... bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were ... or try and kill them and if I should ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Ants in compost bin
    ... compost bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing ... if I should kill them, ... The ants will evenually get fed up and move on. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)