Re: apricots

"Fred" wrote
I would like to buy an apricot tree. The book the "fruit expert"
mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. Are these the best varieties for
the UK?

I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties.
Instead they have Tomcot, Goldcot, and Golden Glow (IIRC). Do you have
any experience of these?

I have a south facing garden in the midlands. The label of the goldcot
said it was a US variety, especially suited to the cold, wet UK
conditions. Is this so? if so, I might be tempted to try that, unless
anyone recommends different.

We used to have an Apricot tree for very many year until it got struck by
lightning whilst we were on holiday. In all those years we only got two
fruit! (and we live near the Thames)
I hope you have a very protected and warm south facing spot for it and
choose one of the modern varieties that have been bred for the cold
conditions. (I think I've read somewhere they are mainly from Canada)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

  • Re: apricots
    ... I would like to buy an apricot tree. ... mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. ... I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties. ... Instead they have Tomcot, Goldcot, and Golden Glow (IIRC). ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: apricots
    ... The book the "fruit expert" ... mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. ... I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties. ... Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: apricots
    ... mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. ... I don't know anything about named varieties. ... stones from apricots bought in the greengrocer's, and several hunza ... large planter, and the ordinary ones are going nicely, and will be ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: apricots
    ... mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. ... I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties. ... I have a south facing garden in the midlands. ... anyone recommends different. ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)
  • Re: Tomatoe resistance to cold
    ... predicting night time temperatures of the low 40's. ... First of all you should NEVER cover ANY plant with plastic to protect it from the cold. ... As to how cold you plants can stand it depends a lot on the variety and how well developed they are. ... There are some varieties that have been developed to withstand cold. ...
    (rec.gardens)