Re: Heron!

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:40:46 -0000, "Pete Stockdale"
<peter.jeanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Sacha" <sacha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

You cant gripe about animals doing what animals do. Did you protect
them in any way?

Does anything take spawn?

I think next weeks weather may well put paid to some early breeding
wildlife, sadly.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.

Very good idea. We actually have trouble with cats grabbing the frogs
at the pond, lying in wait etc. Electric would be a very good
deterrent! What do you use?

They still have miles of adjacent canal to go at - so they wont starve !
Regards

  • Re: Rec.ponds faq (3/3)
    ... x-of the pond is good algae and helps to balance the pond. ... x-Some people claim that a high algae content in the water actually improves ... Your best remedy is to add plants of all aquatic types. ... Determine the maximum number of fish your pond can support ...
    (rec.ponds)
  • Re: Rec.ponds faq (3/3)
    ... x-of the pond is good algae and helps to balance the pond. ... x-Some people claim that a high algae content in the water actually improves ... Your best remedy is to add plants of all aquatic types. ... Determine the maximum number of fish your pond can support ...
    (rec.ponds)
  • Re: Rec.ponds faq (2/3)
    ... x-your pond which could encourage algae growth. ... x-place newly planted lilies in shallow water until they become established. ... Lotus are tough plants that are less susceptible than water ... Many fish like to eat duckweed. ...
    (rec.ponds)
  • Re: Rec.ponds faq (2/3)
    ... x-your pond which could encourage algae growth. ... x-place newly planted lilies in shallow water until they become established. ... Lotus are tough plants that are less susceptible than water ... Many fish like to eat duckweed. ...
    (rec.ponds)
  • Re: Rec.ponds faq (1/2)
    ... Where do I put my pond? ... Where do I find pond plants? ... Should I fertilize my water plants? ... What do I do with my new fish after purchase? ...
    (rec.ponds)