On 16 Feb, 20:09, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Bod" <bodro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:7u0avsFaduU4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 16/02/2010 19:41, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bod"<bodro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7u006pFclfU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/02/2010 16:25, Adrian wrote:
"Brimstone"<brimst...@xxxxxxxxxxx> gurgled happily, sounding much
like
they were saying:

Why do people bother with these antiquated terms? Is there
something
wrong with just saying left and right? Or is the same as nautical
types
using port and starboard - it just makes them sound more "in the
know"
and have one up on other people?

For the same reason that computer snobs like to use their jargon.

Indeed. Because it's clear, it's accurate, and it tells those with
clue
_exactly_ what they need to know.

Saw it somewhere, that on aircraft carriers there is an important
safety
reason that the navy refer to it as port etc and the airforce left and
right. (or was it the other way around?).
Can't remember the exact reason, but it was certainly essential.

Bod

I'm starting to lose the will to live ..............

Mr Pounder

It was something to do with the parking of the planes on an Aircraft
carrier, to save confusion or something very similar.

It's true.

Bod

Same way round.
Port is left, starboard is right.
This takes me back to the old days when I flew Starfighters in
Nam.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-104_Starfighter

Starfighters had a nasty habit of crashing, I got the blame; I always get
the blame.

Mr Pounder

That was the F104G a politically motivated attempt to make a fighter
into a bomber, resulting in a right pigs ear, sold to the Krauts and
earning the name 'The Widow Maker' never made 'nam.

Are you saying I'm telling porkies?

Mr Pounder

.