Re: Maybe we should do the same here...

On 11 Jan, 20:52, NM <nik.mor...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11 Jan, 16:27, Vicko Zoomba <vicko_zoo...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

New speed cameras enrage Arizona drivers
An attempt to introduce UK-style fixed speed cameras in America has
ended in a public revolt, with motorists binning speeding tickets
worth $90 million (£60 million).

The Arizona scheme, which was the first statewide effort to bring
speed camera enforcement to the US, is now on the verge of bankruptcy
and could be dumped.

Many Americans, including judges and elected officials, regard the
devices as an unconstitutional tax collection method and have flatly
refused to pay the fines, the Times reports.

"I see all the cameras in Arizona completely coming down," Shawn Dow,
who is leading the public revolt via his chairmanship of Arizona
Citizens Against Photo Radar, told the paper. "The citizens of Arizona
took away the cash cow of Arizona by refusing to pay." He is now
trying to get the cameras banned in November's elections.

Although about 700,000 tickets have been issued since Arizona's 76-
camera plan was rolled out last year, a mere $37 million of the $127
million in fines and surcharges has been collected. That is because
Arizonans have realised that they can simply ignore tickets sent to
them in the post, and the authorities cannot prove that they have
received them. Unless the tickets are served in person something
Arizona cannot afford to do they become void after three months.

Motorists have shown their opposition to the machines in other ways,
placing large cardboard boxes over them, decorating them with sticky
notes, attacking them with pickaxes and, in one case, setting off the
cameras while standing in front wearing a monkey mask.

The company hired to install Arizona's cameras, Redflex, is under
financial pressure, because it invested $16 million upfront in the
equipment. But it says it is persevering. "Redflex is in this for the
long haul," it said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6964400/Ne...
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For once it seems like the Yanks have some common sense. Perhaps we
should follow suit?

McKevvy

The sport of necklacing is quite common in the Netherlands and Germany
it has exponents occasionally down here in Cornwall.

Isn't that how Paul Newman ended up in jail in Cool Hand Luke?

McK

  • Maybe we should do the same here...
    ... An attempt to introduce UK-style fixed speed cameras in America has ... The Arizona scheme, which was the first statewide effort to bring ... Although about 700,000 tickets have been issued since Arizona's 76- ...
    (uk.rec.driving)
  • Re: Old toll bridge to go to automatic tolling
    ... An attempt to introduce British-style speed cameras on the other side ... Arizona is now on the verge of bankruptcy and might be scrapped. ... Although about 700,000 tickets have been issued since Arizona’s ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Maybe we should do the same here...
    ... with motorists binning speeding tickets ... "I see all the cameras in Arizona completely coming down," Shawn Dow, ... Although about 700,000 tickets have been issued since Arizona's 76- ...
    (uk.rec.driving)
  • Re: Maybe we should do the same here...
    ... with motorists binning speeding tickets ... "I see all the cameras in Arizona completely coming down," Shawn Dow, ... Although about 700,000 tickets have been issued since Arizona's 76- ...
    (uk.rec.driving)
  • Re: meritocracy?
    ... automated cameras instead, the punishment for the infraction comes weeks ... If you do not like to receive these tickets, ... where "owner onus" (the responsibility of the registered car ... innocent kids in prison for over ten years. ...
    (talk.origins)