Met Police crackdown on law breaking cyclists

Yesterday (24th June) the Metropolitan Police had a one day crackdown
on red light jumping, pavement riding, road sign ignoring, etc, etc,
cyclists. Any law breakers were issued with a £60 spot fine, but this
was refundable if they agreed to attend a road safety course. What an
excellent idea that might sort out some of the worst cyclists. Why
don't the Police do this more often?

I listened to parts of a phone in on LBC radio on this subject. All
the usual tales of reckless and dangerous cycling were trotted out by
motorists and pedestrians. Although I didn't listen to all of the
debate due to other commitments, I didn't hear any cyclists trying to
justify red light jumping. But then, how do you justify the
unjustifiable anyway?

Derek C

  • Re: Met Police crackdown on law breaking cyclists
    ... on red light jumping, pavement riding, road sign ignoring, etc, etc, ... Any law breakers were issued with a £60 spot fine, ... excellent idea that might sort out some of the worst cyclists. ... justify red light jumping. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Wkats the most common commuting bike that you see?
    ... For some reason cyclists have to condemn other cyclists misdemeanors, even when those misdemeanors are a response the dangers posed by motorists. ... Red light jumping cyclists primarily piss me off as they give non cyclists a stick to beat all cyclists with which is largely irrelevant to safety of third parties. ... I dunno as I subscribe to the theory that pavement cycling is 'okay' based on the fact that its the motorist who is the root problem. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Bloody cyclists - always jumping red lights!
    ... 57% of cyclists admit to red light jumping in a national survey. ... vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton - Lancaster ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Bloody cyclists - always jumping red lights!
    ... 57% of cyclists admit to red light jumping in a national survey. ... more road traffic policing to enforce traffic laws, ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Bike number plates mooted - like Washington DC
    ... The preferred method is to catch offending cyclists and punish them. ... All registration would achieve is diverting police effort from enforcing real offences to enforcing compliance with registration. ... Police priorities are not always well-chosen, but on the whole they realise that red light jumping by cyclists is not worthy of as much effort as red light jumping by motorists, for example. ... The idea would not achieve its objectives, and would dramatically reduce cycling if enforced effectively - just like that other half-baked anti-cycling idea, compulsory cycle helmets. ...
    (uk.transport.london)