Met Police crackdown on law breaking cyclists

Yesterday (24th June) the Metropolitan Police had a one day crackdown
on red light jumping, pavement riding, road sign ignoring, etc, etc,
cyclists. Any law breakers were issued with a £60 spot fine, but this
was refundable if they agreed to attend a road safety course. What an
excellent idea that might sort out some of the worst cyclists. Why
don't the Police do this more often?

I listened to parts of a phone in on LBC radio on this subject. All
the usual tales of reckless and dangerous cycling were trotted out by
motorists and pedestrians. Although I didn't listen to all of the
debate due to other commitments, I didn't hear any cyclists trying to
justify red light jumping. But then, how do you justify the
unjustifiable anyway?

Derek C

.