Re: Michelin Erilium 2 Kevlar - 2miles, then a puncture!

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 15:31:16 +0000
MW <notreally@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Realising the old tyres were a bit threadbare, I bought a pair of
Michelin Erilium 2 Kevlar tyres - ultimate protection they reckon.

I think the fact you can buy them for £9 suggests they're not as great
as they might claim.

Popped them on this morning, new tubes, then 2miles down the road, a
puncture!

Granted, it was a nasty bit of flint that couldn't have been designed
better to cause a puncture, but still, just 2 miles?

WTF?

Seriously though, is being rather heavier than most cyclists going to
increase the chances of a puncture?

That's open to debate. With tyres at the same pressure you'll have a
greater contact area and more deformation of the casing perhaps so
perhaps more likely to pick something up. With tyres at a
proportionately higher pressure to produce a similar contact area they
may be more prone to cuts because the casing is under greater tension,
but less prone to punctures because reduced deformation around a spike
means it's less likely to dig in. Or something.

  • Re: thoughts on the "utility bike"
    ... That sort of experience should incline you to banded tyres. ... going to do the same business for me: *Five years without a puncture.* ... carry a spare tube, instead carrying a phone permanently in my toolbag ... Andre Jute ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Flat Proof Tires Shifts Concerns Toward Safety
    ... 2 passing vehicles and broken glass in what little bike lane ... to wriggle through the tread and thus cause a puncture. ... I use tubular tyres for comfort and excellent cornering grip. ... I avoid riding when the road is wet ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Tyres for street/trail on an MTB
    ... Don't want to spend lots of cash, but would like good puncture ... You've got a fairly flat centre section, with knobblies on the side - when you lean, you move over onto the knobblies and it all gets a bit drifty and horrible - I'm far more confident doing the same thing on a set of full knobblies. ... I've also had the same sort of experience but at even lower speeds with Schwalbe City Jets (full road slicks), which put me off them too. ... On the other hand, I use Schwalbe Blizzard tyres on my road bike, and I find they grip perfectly. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Snot filled inner tubes - whats the secret ?
    ... Yes, but it is used on 'normal' tyres, and makes them almost puncture ... as the sheer time saving of having no punctures to deal with. ... where you need to use very low pressure, but for normal road cycling, pinch ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: "conditioner"
    ... I can remember when the first tubeless tyres came on to ... how often does anyone get a puncture these ... I would differentiate between a puncture and a blow-out. ... is caused by an object like a nail penetrating the tire wall. ...
    (alt.usage.english)