Mondeo Broken Suspension Springs

My Mondeo (1997 2.0i 121K miles) failed it’s MOT yesterday due to broken front suspension springs (both sides). The garage says the car should not be driven. I’m OK with the advice, but the problem is the car was serviced by the same garage (a Ford agent, not a main dealer, which I have been using for the last 4 years) less than 4 weeks ago. I had it serviced before going on holiday to France and it was too early to get an MOT done at the same time.

I have driven the car since the service, and haven’t noticed any bangs that might have indicated the springs going, nor have I noticed any differences in how the car is handling.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Should the garage have spotted the broken springs during the service? The car has been serviced twice by them since they did the last MOT. At the last service they also changed the tyres so the wheels were off the car.
2. What is the likelihood that both would have broken in 4 weeks and approx 1000 miles of driving without me noticing?

The cost of replacing them is not an issue – it’s more about the inconvenience of having the car off the road for a couple of days, and more importantly having driven the car to France and back in a potentially dangerous state.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Kevin

  • Re: Garage MOT dispute
    ... My car was in for it's MOT today. ... Got a call from the garage saying ... they will not release the car keys until I pay them, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Can I Tow A Vehicle On A SORN?
    ... Could the towed car be on a SORN? ... I decided to play the game and get a SORN. ... repaired before I can even think about a new MOT. ... say that I could take it to a garage to make it suitable for the MOT ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Which Hydraulic Motorcycle Lift? (Now a bit long)
    ... Many years ago when I live on the north Kent coast I took a car of mine to a "pre booked" MOT as there was no MOT current or TAX. ... Oh yes it is comes the answer, seen by a police officer in person. ... As this was while my car was at the garage getting its' MOT and was parked off road in a dedicated MOT waiting area, I phone up the garage who did the MOT to see if some one had been using my car 'on the side' and got the following: ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Can I Tow A Vehicle On A SORN?
    ... Could the towed car be on a SORN? ... I decided to play the game and get a SORN. ... Insurance is valid without MOT, assuming it is roadworthy in other ... say that I could take it to a garage to make it suitable for the MOT ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Has this garage committed a criminal offense?
    ... A garage returned a car with a new MOT after a repair which was ... A main dealer has inspected the car and it now ... MoT matters are down to the individual inspector rather than the garage - ...
    (uk.legal)