Re: Timetable PDFs on Amazon Kindle

On 21/12/2011 18:17, Jeremy Double wrote:
D7666<d7666@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 21, 1:04 pm, Jeremy Double<jmd.nos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Phil Richards<philrichar...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anyone used an Amazon Kindle (or similar eBook reader) to read
timetable pdf files downloaded
I recently used the PDF version of Table 26 on an iPad to follow the
progress of a train I was travelling on. The PDF reading software I was
using allowed me to draw a ring around the train I was travelling on
What has following a trains progress on ipad got to do with reading a
downloaded timetable PDF on a kindle ?
Because I used the PDF timetable, perhaps? Notice the "(or similar eBook
reader)" in the original post? An iPad is an alternative to a Kindle, it
will do a superset of the things that a Kindle will do (including reading
Kindle books using the Kindle app).

One use of a timetable, when travelling on a train, is to compare the
actual time that a train stops at a station with the scheduled time. You
can use the relevant train progress page on the National Rail website, but
I find a timetable more convenient.

Until a few weeks ago, I might have agreed with you. But the latest revamp of the National Rail website for mobile devices has (IMO) greatly improved the individual train display and shows the scheduled time at each station with the actual (past) or expected (future) times just below - what could be easier or more convenient? And if you need to make a connection at a station ahead, the "Live Departure Board" for that station will tell you more about making your connection (including, more often these days, the platform numbers - and with late alterations to these if the local operators have input them to the information system) than a printed timetable with its immutable figures ever could.

Each page is a relatively small download now. Can't see how a pdf of a complex and clumsy table such as Table 26 (the East Coast Main Line table for those who are not familiar with the NRT) can match this, especially as it lacks the real time information the National Rail page has.

As for convenience, my BlackBerry is quite a bit smaller than a Kindle, and I can still read the above mentioned display page without using reading glasses, although I am in my mid 50s.

The only time I ever refer to NRT pages these days is for timetable editing at work which involves journeys running into other operators' areas so we can't use our own Train Planners' output. Unless you actually need to see the whole service pattern, rather than the train you are on, what's the point? For many journeys, the "print your own timetable" or similar options that many TOC sites as well as National Rail offer is a better option - especially as it includes the latest information and does not go "out of date" as a printed timetable can. That is why Network Rail would probably rather be shot of the NRT and seem to produce it only reluctantly because the Government says they have to.

Even if I had unlimited data downloads, I find it hard to conceive of any circumstance I would want to download pdfs of the big and clunky NRT to my mobile device.

--
- Yokel -

Yokel posts via a spam-trap account which is not read.

.