Re: "Vintage" 2m SSB Portables

Ooops premature post got sent!

On Jul 13, 3:39 pm, The Puppetmaster <punkbisc...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I got it going and then wondered why - what a piece of
crap !

Was this a standard 290 or did it have the internal muTek
pre-amp/filter board?

Standard.

My Baofeng has a better rx.

In what way?

With the Baofeng you do at least have to use
the VFO to listen to different frequencies.

With an FT290 you didn't need to ;-)

And the signal handling was very poor.

The Baofeng has a barn door front end,
but doesn't really suffer at all in daily use
(when used as a handy) and has decent
sensitivity and in band selectivity.

FT290 was just a xtal set with a frequency counter ;-)

  • Re: low pass filter between vfo and mixer
    ... So, VFO frequencies should be: ... i do not see why you would want to put a low pass filter ... but a ham band only receiver, IMHO, it is a much better idea to put ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)
  • Re: Ham bands only rigs, off-band operation?
    ... series, and transceivers such as Drake TR-4 and Collins KWM-2, be modified ... to work on CAP and MARS frequencies? ... The Collins CP-1 crystal pack provided general coverage HF operation ... I'm suirprised a digital internal VFO hasn't been devised for S-Line. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors)
  • Swap: Hallicrafters HA-5 VFO
    ... Looking to swap my Hallicrafters HA-5 VFO for something...don't know ... No frequencies "weirdities" although on 80 M it drifts ... let me know what you've got to swap. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors)