Re: hampal / rigblaster etc

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:19:44 -0600, Bob Bob wrote:

Hi Dave

I regularly use to send data files to another amateur over a 60km path on
2M FM. We originally used AX25/packet at 1200bps and got between 90 and
120 bytes per second. Similar rates were obtained using the Wyman/RDFT
coding seen under the "Digtrx" SSTV software. These were
microphone/speaker connected rates rather than dedicated data or modified
radios. We did do some experiments with the RDFT software and were able to
double the xfer rate without a problem. It was a very good path, noise
free most of the time.

TTBOMK Rig Blaster is an interface device that joins your PC sound card to
the radio. ie the hardware connection. You need software to use this
hardware and there is a lot available. I dont know what a "ham pal" is.
Once you have this hardware connection an entire new world is available,
not just transferring data but examining, filtering and decoding signals.
The PC is a very good DSP device. Even have heard of a recent success in
seeing the video carrier of a VHF TV station reflected by the moon on a
spectrum analysis type display.

Note that (say) a 2Mbyte mp3 is going to take a while to xfer! Something
in the order of 6 hours. Higher data rates generally mean purpose built
radios, many beyond amateur radio regulation. Depending where you are new
allocations for wideband use on VHF/UHF of 100khz bandwidth have been
made. These promise a useful increase over the older voice bandwidth
systems. Be nice to see an interest in QPSK/QAM methods to utilize this
allocation.

If you'd care to elaborate on your proposed situation, radios/freqs etc we
might be able to suggest some possibilities.

Without sending data (a file) through a packet network but purely
point-to-point as with jpegs and the sstv system. That's what I am
investigating. Is there a system to do that. Sure the bandwith is very
limited but many of us send jpegs, small mp3's, exe's, docs are no
different. Frequency? vhf and hf.

tnx bob

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

dave wrote:

I would like to send mp3's and exe's over a digital system to another
radio ham. Do any of the systems (like ham pal or rig blaster) allow or
have options for this?

tnx

  • Re: hampal / rigblaster etc
    ... Once you have this hardware connection an entire new world is available, not just transferring data but examining, filtering and decoding signals. ... Higher data rates generally mean purpose built radios, many beyond amateur radio regulation. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • RSGB Main News for 9 April 2006
    ... Who cares about solar wind speeds? ... Special Event News ... Scottish Air Cadets will activate a tactical radio station from the ... operation on the amateur bands will also take place. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • RSGB Main News for 30 April 2006
    ... RSGB Bylaws notice ... Special Event News ... The proposed changes to the Radio Society of Great Britain's Bylaws ... he has already been making amateur radio contacts from NA1SS. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • ANS-036 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletin
    ... The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ... Commemorative SuitSat QSL Certificate Will Be Available ... AMSAT News Service Bulletin 036.01 ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.space)
  • Re: On topic (amateur radio mobile hand-held mikes and the law)
    ... a simple statement that it was amateur radio was enough. ... Amateur mobile operating and the law was in the news back in 2005 when a woman was prosecuted for eating and apple while driving. ... Recent research has concluded that you are four times more likely to be involved in an accident if you use a mobile phone whilst driving, and therefore pose a greater danger to pedestrians and other drivers than do drunk drivers. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)