Re: Is it really possible to change?

"Snuggles" <snuggles2012-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3kvhlaF109l30U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new here (well newish - I was a regular a few years back), and have
> recently taken a big step in trying to sort my life out.
>
> To try and cut a v long story short I have suffered from depression for
> many years. I think it is caused by two things. One is a major problem I
> have with making friends - I find it impossible to let people get close to
> me. The second problem is very low self esteem. I have a responsible
> professional job, but am in a constant state of anxiety and panic about
> making a fool of myself, and being found out as the useless idiot I feel I
> am.
>
> This all came to a head recently, as work have been encouraging me to
> apply for a promotion which would mean moving away from home. This would
> mean I would be totally isolated, as I can't make friends, and I also
> don't feel I am good enough to cope with a more demanding job. The added
> worry made me crack and I had some kind of panic attack at work.
>
> I have been to my GP and she suggested counselling. I have had counselling
> before, and although it was good to talk, it did nothing whatsoever to
> help me overcome these problems. So the GP has referred me to another
> counsellor who is also trained in cognitive behavioural therapy. My GP
> seems to think that all I need is to be taught techniques to help me deal
> with things I find difficult, and hey presto, all will be fine and I will
> be able to get on with my life and achieve all the things I want to
> achieve.
>
> The trouble is, much as I want to, I just don't believe it. I have been
> this way for as long as I can remember, certainly since my early teens,
> and I can't even imagine the possibility that I could feel differently.
> Which leads me to my question - do you really believe it is possible to
> change? Sometimes I think it would be easier if I accepted the limitations
> my problems place on my life, instead of being caught in a constant
> struggle to overcome them.
>
> Snuggles

This is a question I struggle with all the time. your last paragraph really
summarises how I feel. The trouble is I really struggle to accept my
problems, especially as they hurt so much.

Kate

  • Re: The state of the community
    ... That's life. ... easiest struggle on the planet due the tools given us in our newreaders. ... Having been reading the sock puppet posts for a couple years ... How can anybody live like that and waste their lives on the trivial? ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: my worries
    ... > im currently in my third year of university so in six months time ill have ... > arguing which would cause a bad atmosphere and mum would get upset. ... > im scared of this new period in my life. ... > struggle your whole life. ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Should you tell them?
    ... I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to say 'I hurt because ... Probably the biggest reason why I haven't ended my life in the past is ... On a purely cynical level, a lot of professionals benefit from their clients ... need for more counselling, which can eventually become a kind of addiction. ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Another story
    ... The real you is a wonderful you -- what a struggle it was. ... I don't say that anymore. ... Everything about my life is better. ... husband smokes and it is a good reminder that I don't want to go back ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: What to do with red burlap?
    ... There is also a struggle when recently widowed father is ... as a hindrance to her spending his money. ... neither of her kids was willing to help at all. ... years of his life. ...
    (alt.sewing)