Re: [gig reminder]Black Veil Mittelalter night - Monday 15th August

"Morph" <morph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Jozafeen wrote:
> >BitBat/trish verily stated:
> >
> >> well since you don't feature live music at Batfink it's not very
> >> likely that anyone would be waving any musical instruments around
> >> bavarian or otherwise. But are you seriously saying here that you
> >> outlaw the playing of cds featuring a hitlist of specific
> >> instruments? That seems a rather limiting and parochial approach to
> >> music!
>
> >As it's a financial risk I'd be taking personally I wouldn't be booking
any
> >Mittelalter bands because I don't like that sound, nor as a DJ would I
buy
> >any of the CDs. It's only the same as BV having a policy of not playing
> >Kylie, Marilyn Manson or somesuch isn't it?
>
> Yes, but...
>
> Trish was looking at the statement about a specific instrument, you
> were looking at the genre. Slightly different.
>
> Not playing mittelalter stuff is one thing. Not playing anything with
> bagpipes... well, that covers Paul McCartney's "Mull of Kintyre" and
> dear old Korn as well. Just by way of example. Which may not be a bad
> thing (especially not in those two cases!) , but casts the net pretty
> wide.
>
> I mean, you wouldn't ban anything and everything with a violin in it,
> would you? Or cello? So why discriminate against the poor vilified
> bagpipes... :-)
>
> -Morph

I was also thinking about the wide range of percussion instruments too. At
the gig which started this thread Jost played a drum solo which was
absolutely amazing in it's musicality and range of pace and expression.
Surely anything that can be played to create a controllable noise is a
potential instrument in the hands of a musician of any genre?

And I really did enjoy the ~battle of the bagpipes~ in one of the last
numbers they performed. I just wish I'd got a photo but I was too busy
enjoying myself to bother so I don't know which types they were from the
list they play ...."German, French, Spanisch, Italian and Scottish
bagpipes".

trish

  • Re: Bachs Matthew Passion: Versions Selection
    ... do HIP adherents not agree ... Beethoven's fortepianos were inadequate instruments for his ... And in this book you find an important violin teacher active from the ... violin playing that threatened to "kill" the art of violin playing. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: West Eats Meat
    ... That's a tall order, but Okay: ... The guitar player will start playing something and direct the band through ... Ari's instruments have prescribed open tunings, ... Life is short, John. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Anti-inflammatory drugs for aging musicians
    ... experienced some hand pain after playing stringed instruments for ... of instruments, each with different fingerings and often with wildly ... on vigorously playing softball, and who then ache and suffer for days ... I find the best way to stop my fingers aching (and they do, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: a recent slur on the Accordion
    ... Mainstream music means having RIA put its fist some place unpleasant. ... Reeded instruments is higher in these past two years than they have ... two years ago added a national diploma in accordion playing to include ... play Guitar Hero and it has been done. ...
    (rec.music.makers.squeezebox)
  • Ideas for Medieval Bagpipers...
    ... Great Highland Bagpipes are a 17th century instrument. ... if you cannot afford a real medieval-style bagpipe from a ... distinctive connical-shaped drones. ... instruments were passed down from generation to generation. ...
    (rec.org.sca)