Re: is it just me

In news:440e2368$0$9226$ed2619ec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
kráftéé <kraftee@dontspamkrafteeunless you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com>
typed:
Barry Ruck wrote:
kráftéé wrote:
Lordy.UK wrote:
I'm putting my money on either of 2 things....A DDoS on NTL,
or a major DNS screw-up at NTL

You've just lost some money then :)

Not neccesarily NTL Planned Service Outages are NTL speak for we've
cocked up & dunno when we are going to fix it

And I thought it was "We've cocked up and *don't know* how to fix
it !!!!!

Include If in there somewhere & you could be correct..

NTL the only ISP who takes it's news servers down for
servicing/upgrades & 3 years later they're still not working, one of
the reasons why I still think Plus Net isn't THAT bad...

Well their main News server is a lot better than it used to be, it seems to
work fine at least 95% of the time these days.

Back a few years ago when I first got NTL broadband though, the NTL news
server was so slow and unreliable it was almost completely unusable. I
switched to a free newservice in Berlin (I think a lot of NTL customers did)
until the "Free" German service started charging. Luckily though by the time
the Germans wanted my Credit card details. NTL's main news server had
improved quite substantially and seems to have improved even more as time
has gone on.

Of couse one thing about NTL is AFAIK they have 3 different News servers,
news.ntlworld.com, text.news.ntlworld.com, and news.cable.ntlworld.com. Not
sure if one or two may be aliases of the same server, but I do know
text.news.ntlworld.com is a separate server. Of course having had problems
with their main server in the past I subscribe to a mirror set of groups in
both New servers and usually find if NTLs main server is down which isn't
quite so frequent these days I can usually access Usenet through the other
server.

Actually though the problems I had with NTL's news service and having to
look for alternatives did teach me a fair bit about the workings of Usenet
so wasn't entirely wasted :)
--
Amanda

  • Re: posting to ngs - SOLVED
    ... > If there's an NTL UK user out there, it might help - this doesn't preclude ... > all the posts (headers AND bodies) and create a reply/new question - just ... > Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • posting to ngs (XPPro,SP2 + all updates)
    ... If there's an NTL UK user out there, it might help - this doesn't preclude ... all the posts and create a reply/new question - just ... SCREW-UP', Account: 'news.cable.ntlworld.com', Server: ... "Include this account when checking for mail" box is blank (checking it, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Windows Mail wont connect!
    ... "switched from ntl to Sky" entails. ... NTL for service, why would you expect them to maintain your ... password are correct for your mail server". ... Problem appeared before installing Vista SP1 so don't think it's that from ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant Receive E-Mails 0x800CCC0F
    ... > Hi… Can send E-Mails but now cant receive them? ... > This morning I have been onto my network supplier ntl ... > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ... MS MVP - Windows ...
  • Re: Strange behviour
    ... server and gives the above message. ... NTL appear to be having trouble with their news servers at the moment. ... increase the timeout before it decided there's a problem. ... Other news servers that are free usually only allow you to read, ...
    (uk.comp.misc)